A Risk Management Approach for Portfolio Insurance Strategies
AbstractControlling and managing potential losses is one of the main objectives of the Risk Management. Following Ben Ameur and Prigent (2007) and Chen et al. (2008), and extending the first results by Hamidi et al. (2009) when adopting a risk management approach for defining insurance portfolio strategies, we analyze and illustrate a specific dynamic portfolio insurance strategy depending on the Value-at-Risk level of the covered portfolio on the French stock market. This dynamic approach is derived from the traditional and popular portfolio insurance strategy (Cf. Black and Jones, 1987 ; Black and Perold, 1992) : the so-called "Constant Proportion Portfolio Insurance" (CPPI). However, financial results produced by this strategy crucially depend upon the leverage - called the multiple - likely guaranteeing a predetermined floor value whatever the plausible market evolutions. In other words, the unconditional multiple is defined once and for all in the traditional setting. The aim of this article is to further examine an alternative to the standard CPPI method, based on the determination of a conditional multiple. In this time-varying framework, the multiple is conditionally determined in order to remain the risk exposure constant, even if it also depends upon market conditions. Furthermore, we propose to define the multiple as a function of an extended Dynamic AutoRegressive Quantile model of the Value-at-Risk (DARQ-VaR). Using a French daily stock database (CAC 40) and individual stocks in the period 1998-2008), we present the main performance and risk results of the proposed Dynamic Proportion Portfolio Insurance strategy, first on real market data and secondly on artificial bootstrapped and surrogate data. Our main conclusion strengthens the previous ones : the conditional Dynamic Strategy with Constant-risk exposure dominates most of the time the traditional Constant-asset exposure unconditional strategies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00389789.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00389789
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
CPPI; Portfolio insurance; VaR; CAViaR; quantile regression; dynamic quantile model.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-IAS-2009-08-02 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-RMG-2009-08-02 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert F. Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2004.
"CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles,"
Journal of Business & Economic Statistics,
American Statistical Association, vol. 22, pages 367-381, October.
- Engle, Robert F & Manganelli, Simone, 1999. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt06m3d6nv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Robert Engle & Simone Manganelli, 2000. "CAViaR: Conditional Autoregressive Value at Risk by Regression Quantiles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0841, Econometric Society.
- BONTEMPS, Christian & MEDDAHI, Nour, 2002.
"Testing Normality : A GMM Approach,"
Cahiers de recherche
2002-14, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Black, Fischer & Perold, AndreF., 1992. "Theory of constant proportion portfolio insurance," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 16(3-4), pages 403-426.
- Joan Jasiak & C. Gourieroux, 2006.
"Dynamic Quantile Models,"
2006_4, York University, Department of Economics.
- Longin, Francois & Solnik, Bruno, 1995. "Is the correlation in international equity returns constant: 1960-1990?," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 3-26, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.