Determinants of the corporate decision to disclose stakeholders' reports in France
AbstractThis study develops and empirically tests a model of the corporate decision to disclose stakeholders' report by French firms. The related literature is then reviewed. The first section identifies the factors influencing the decision to disclose stakeholders' reports. The factors examined have been broken down into three categories: corporate characteristics, external factors and internal factors.In the second section, variables are then defined before a presentation of the empirical tests. This study hypothesises that the decision to disclose stakeholders' reports is correlated with the size, the reputation of industry, the financial performance, the salience of stakeholders and the degree of internationalisation of the firm's activity. Finally, a summary and a conclusion are presented. The results show that the salience of stakeholders and the reputation of the industry are the most important factors and the degree of internationalisation of the firms has no influence on this decision. We interpret this finding as consistent with stakeholder theory.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number halshs-00154181.
Date of creation: 2004
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published - Presented, 27th annual congress of the European Accounting Association, 2004, prague, Czech Republic
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00154181/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Stakeholder theory; stakeholders' report; corporate characteristics; external factors; stakeholders;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Adams, Carol A. & Harte, George, 1998. "The changing portrayal of the employment of women in British banks' and retail companies' corporate annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(8), pages 781-812, November.
- Herremans, Irene M. & Akathaporn, Parporn & McInnes, Morris, 1993. "An investigation of corporate social responsibility reputation and economic performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 18(7-8), pages 587-604.
- Ingram, Robert W. & Frazier, Katherine Beal, 1983. "Narrative disclosures in annual reports," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 49-60, March.
- Henriques, Irene & Sadorsky, Perry, 1996. "The Determinants of an Environmentally Responsive Firm: An Empirical Approach," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 381-395, May.
- Gamble, George O. & Hsu, Kathy & Jackson, Cynthia & Tollerson, Cynthia D., 1996. "Environmental disclosures in annual reports: An international perspective," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 293-331.
- Neu, D. & Warsame, H. & Pedwell, K., 1998. "Managing public impressions: environmental disclosures in annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 265-282, April.
- Niskala, Mikael & Pretes, Michael, 1995. "Environmental reporting in Finland: A note on the use of annual reports," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 20(6), pages 457-466, August.
- Trotman, Ken T. & Bradley, Graham W., 1981. "Associations between social responsibility disclosure and characteristics of companies," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 6(4), pages 355-362, October.
- Roberts, Robin W., 1992. "Determinants of corporate social responsibility disclosure: An application of stakeholder theory," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 17(6), pages 595-612, August.
- Jose Moneva & Fernando Llena, 2000. "Environmental disclosures in the annual reports of large companies in Spain," European Accounting Review, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 9(1), pages 7-29.
- Rob Gray & Mohammed Javad & David M. Power & C. Donald Sinclair, 2001. "Social and Environmental Disclosure and Corporate Characteristics: A Research Note and Extension," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 28(3-4), pages 327-356.
- Williams, S. Mitchell & Ho Wern Pei, Carol-Anne, 1999. "Corporate social disclosures by listed companies on their web sites: an international comparison," The International Journal of Accounting, Elsevier, vol. 34(3), pages 389-419, 08.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.