Social and Environmental Disclosure and Corporate Characteristics: A Research Note and Extension
AbstractThis paper is concerned with the attempts to explain the disclosure of social and environmental information in the annual reports of large companies by reference to observable characteristics of those companies. An extensive literature has sought to establish whether variables such as corporate size, profit and industry segments can explain corporations' disclosure practices. The results from that predominantly North American and Australasian literature are largely inconclusive. This paper provides an extension of that literature by considering a more disaggregated specification of social and environmental disclosure and by employing a detailed time-series data set. By so doing, the paper tests two possible explanations for the inconclusiveness of prior research: namely that any relationships between corporate characteristics and disclosure are dependent upon the type of disclosure and that any such relationships are not stable through time. The results provide support for these explanations as sufficient, if not necessary, conditions for explaining the inconsistency in prior results. Copyright Blackwell Publishers Ltd 2001.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Wiley Blackwell in its journal Journal of Business Finance & Accounting.
Volume (Year): 28 (2001-04)
Issue (Month): 3-4 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0306-686X
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elena Barbu & Pascal Dumontier & Niculae Feleagă & Liliana Feleagă, 2011. "Mandatory environmental disclosures by companies complying with IAS/IFRS: The case of France, Germany and the UK," Post-Print halshs-00658734, HAL.
- Henri, Jean-François & Journeault, Marc, 2010. "Eco-control: The influence of management control systems on environmental and economic performance," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 35(1), pages 63-80, January.
- Vanessa Magness, 2006. "Strategic posture, financial performance and environmental disclosure: An empirical test of legitimacy theory," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(4), pages 540-563, July.
- Carlos Larrinaga-Gonzélez & Vincente Pérez-Chamorro, 2008.
"Sustainability Accounting and Accountability in Public Water Companies,"
Public Money & Management,
Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy, vol. 28(6), pages 337-343, December.
- Carlos Larrinaga-GonzÃ©lez & Vincente PÃ©rez-Chamorro, 2008. "Sustainability Accounting and Accountability in Public Water Companies," Public Money & Management, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 28(6), pages 337-343, December.
- Carlos Larrinaga-González & Vicente Pérez-Chamorro, 2008. "Sustainability Accounting And Accountability In Public Water Companies," Working Papers 08.05, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Business Administration.
- Bikram Chatterjee & Monir Zaman Mir, 2008. "The current status of environmental reporting by Indian companies," Managerial Auditing Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(6), pages 609-629, July.
- Carmelo Reverte, 2009. "Determinants of Corporate Social Responsibility Disclosure Ratings by Spanish Listed Firms," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 88(2), pages 351-366, August.
- Bebbington, Jan & Kirk, Elizabeth A. & Larrinaga, Carlos, 2012. "The production of normativity: A comparison of reporting regimes in Spain and the UK," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 37(2), pages 78-94.
- Elena Barbu & Pascal Dumontier & Niculae Feleagă & Liliana Feleagă, 2012. "Mandatory environmental disclosures by companies complying with IAS/IFRS: The case of France, Germany and the UK," Working Papers halshs-00658409, HAL.
- Toms, Steven, 2008. "Asymmetric Response: Explaining Corporate Social Disclosure by Multi-National Firms in Environmentally Sensitive Industries," The York Management School Working Papers 42, The York Management School, University of York.
- Jan Bebbington & Colin Higgins & Bob Frame, 2009. "Initiating sustainable development reporting: evidence from New Zealand," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 22(4), pages 588-625, May.
- DING, Yuan & STOLOWY, Hervé & FU, Linghui & WANG, Huiwen, 2004.
"Disclosure and determinants studies : an extension using the divisive clustering method (DIV),"
Les Cahiers de Recherche
798, HEC Paris.
- Marie Chavent & Yuan Ding & Linghui Fu & Herve Stolowy & Huiwen Wang, 2006. "Disclosure and determinants studies: An extension using the Divisive Clustering Method (DIV)," European Accounting Review, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 15(2), pages 181-218.
- Sepideh Parsa & Reza Kouhy, 2008. "Social Reporting by Companies Listed on the Alternative Investment Market," Journal of Business Ethics, Springer, vol. 79(3), pages 345-360, May.
- Al-Tuwaijri, Sulaiman A. & Christensen, Theodore E. & Hughes, K. II, 2004. "The relations among environmental disclosure, environmental performance, and economic performance: a simultaneous equations approach," Accounting, Organizations and Society, Elsevier, vol. 29(5-6), pages 447-471.
- Salma Damak Ayadi, 2004. "Determinants of the corporate decision to disclose stakeholders' reports in France," Post-Print halshs-00154181, HAL.
- Salma Damak-Ayadi, 2006. "Analyse des facteurs explicatifs de la publication des rapports sociétaux en France," Post-Print halshs-00154184, HAL.
- Neungruthai Nickie Petcharat & Joseph M. Mula, 2012. "Towards a conceptual design for environmental and social cost identification and measurement system," Journal of Financial Reporting and Accounting, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 10(1), pages 34-54.
- Salma Damak-Ayadi, 2005. "Analyse des facteurs explicatifs de la publication des rapports sociétaux en France. Determinants of the corporate decision to disclose stakehoders' reports in France," Post-Print halshs-00581181, HAL.
- Giovanna Michelon, 2007. "Sustainability disclosure and reputation: a comparative study," "Marco Fanno" Working Papers 0044, Dipartimento di Scienze Economiche "Marco Fanno".
- René Orij, 2010. "Corporate social disclosures in the context of national cultures and stakeholder theory," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 23(7), pages 868-889, September.
- Sylvia Veronica Siregar & Yanivi Bachtiar, 2010. "Corporate social reporting: empirical evidence from Indonesia Stock Exchange," International Journal of Islamic and Middle Eastern Finance and Management, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 3(3), pages 241-252, August.
- repec:ner:dauphi:urn:hdl:123456789/2238 is not listed on IDEAS
- Alan Murray & Donald Sinclair & David Power & Rob Gray, 2006. "Do financial markets care about social and environmental disclosure?: Further evidence and exploration from the UK," Accounting, Auditing & Accountability Journal, Emerald Group Publishing, vol. 19(2), pages 228-255, February.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.