Addiction to car use and dynamic elasticity measures in France
AbstractThis article presents a microeconometric analysis of the annual mileage travelled by French households with their personal cars, defining their automobility. To feature car use dependence, the rational addiction model of Becker et al. (1994) is applied on a panel dataset, drawn from the French "Car Fleet" survey over the period 1999-2001. Importantly, the estimates show that the assumption of addiction to car use cannot be rejected. Furthermore, the model yields realistic kilometric-price and income elasticities of household automobility, for both the short and the long runs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Post-Print with number hal-00614966.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published - Presented, 12th World Conference on Transport Research, 2010, Lisbonne, Portugal
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/hal-00614966/en/
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
Transportation ; Car use ; Consumption ; Addiction ; Panel ; GMM;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002.
"Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing,"
Boston College Working Papers in Economics
545, Boston College Department of Economics, revised 14 Feb 2003.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2003. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," Stata Journal, StataCorp LP, vol. 3(1), pages 1-31, March.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," North American Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003 05, Stata Users Group.
- Christopher F Baum & Mark E. Schaffer & Steven Stillman, 2002. "Instrumental variables and GMM: Estimation and testing," United Kingdom Stata Users' Group Meetings 2003 02, Stata Users Group.
- Michael Grossman & Frank J. Chaloupka & Charles C. Brown, 1996.
"The Demand for Cocaine by Young Adults: A Rational Addiction Approach,"
NBER Working Papers
5713, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Michael & Chaloupka, Frank J., 1998. "The demand for cocaine by young adults: a rational addiction approach," Journal of Health Economics, Elsevier, vol. 17(4), pages 427-474, August.
- Sisto, Andrea & Zanola, Roberto, 2005. "Rationally Addicted to Cinema and Tv? An empirical investigation of Italian consumers," POLIS Working Papers 46, Institute of Public Policy and Public Choice - POLIS.
- Michael Grossman & Frank J. Chaloupka & Ismail Sirtalan, 1995.
"An Empirical Analysis of Alcohol Addiction: Results from the Monitoring the Future Panels,"
NBER Working Papers
5200, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Grossman, Michael & Chaloupka, Frank J & Sirtalan, Ismail, 1998. "An Empirical Analysis of Alcohol Addiction: Results from the Monitoring the Future Panels," Economic Inquiry, Western Economic Association International, vol. 36(1), pages 39-48, January.
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Badi H. Baltagi & James M. Griffin, 2002. "Rational addiction to alcohol: panel data analysis of liquor consumption," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 11(6), pages 485-491.
- Bentzen, J. & Eriksson, T. & Smith, V., 1997. "Rational Addiction and Alcohol Consumption: Evidence from the Nordic Countries," Papers 97-16, Aarhus School of Business - Department of Economics.
- Samuel Cameron, 1999. "Rational addiction and the demand for cinema," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 6(9), pages 617-620.
- Jean-Loup Madre & Laurent Hivert & Roger Collet, 2012. "Diffusion de l’automobile en France : vers quels plafonds pour la motorisation et l’usage ?," Économie et Statistique, Programme National Persée, vol. 457(1), pages 123-139.
- Laurent Hivert & Jean-Luc Wingert, 2010. "Automobile et automobilité : quelles évolutions de comportements face aux variations du prix des carburants de 2000 à 2008 ?," Post-Print hal-00614570, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.