Rational addiction and the demand for cinema
AbstractThis paper estimates Becker's rational addiction model using a demand for cinema equation. The results do not seem to be strongly supportive of the rational addiction model. As in Becker, Murphy, Grossman we find a significant coefficient on the lead consumption term and a quite plausible discount rate in OLS estimation with significant price effects. However the IV estimates preferred by Becker et al. fails to give support for any elements of the model.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics Letters.
Volume (Year): 6 (1999)
Issue (Month): 9 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandf.co.uk/journals/routledge/13504851.html
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Ralf Dewenter & Michael Westermann, 2005.
"Cinema Demand In Germany,"
Journal of Cultural Economics,
Springer, vol. 29(3), pages 213-231, August.
- Demuynck, Thomas & Verriest, Ewout, 2011.
"A revealed preference analysis of the rational addiction model,"
Open Access publications from Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
urn:hdl:123456789/310743, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven.
- Thomas DEMUYNCK & Ewout VERRIEST, 2011. "A revealed preference analysis of the rational addiction model," Center for Economic Studies - Discussion papers ces11.12, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Centrum voor Economische Studiën.
- Silvia Tiezzi, 2003. "Addiction and Smoking Behaviour in Italy," Department of Economics University of Siena 412, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Martyn Duffy, 2006. "Tobacco consumption and policy in the United Kingdom," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(11), pages 1235-1257.
- Thomas Demuynck & Ewout Verriest, 2013. "I’Ll Never Forget My First Cigarette: A Revealed Preference Analysis Of The “Habits As Durables” Model," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 54(2), pages 717-738, 05.
- Cuccia, Tiziana, 2009. "A Contingent Ranking Study on the Preferences of Tourists across Seasons/A Contingent Ranking Study on the Preferences of Tourists across Seasons," Estudios de Economía Aplicada, Estudios de Economía Aplicada, vol. 27, pages 161-176, Abril.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2013. "The effect of young children on their parents’ anime viewing habits: Evidence from Japanese micro data," MPRA Paper 49465, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Louis Lévy-Garboua & Claude Montmarquette, 2002. "The Demand for the Arts," CIRANO Working Papers 2002s-10, CIRANO.
- Alan Collins & Chris Hand & Maggie Linnell, 2008. "Analyzing repeat consumption of identical cultural goods: some exploratory evidence from moviegoing," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 32(3), pages 187-199, September.
- Marco Alderighi & Eleonora Lorenzini, 2012. "Cultural goods, cultivation of taste, satisfaction and increasing marginal utility during vacations," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 36(1), pages 1-26, February.
- Kaili Shen & David E. Giles, 2005.
"Rational Exuberance at the Mall: Addiction to Carrying a Credit Card Balance,"
Econometrics Working Papers
0508, Department of Economics, University of Victoria.
- Kaili Shen & David Giles, 2006. "Rational exuberance at the mall: addiction to carrying a credit card balance," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(5), pages 587-592.
- Christopher Auld & Paul Grootendorst, 2001.
"An Empirical Analysis of Milk Addiction,"
2001-17, Department of Economics, University of Calgary, revised 05 Dec 2001.
- Yamamura, Eiji, 2013. "Externality of young children on parents’ watching of anime: Evidence from Japanese micro data," MPRA Paper 46878, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Silvia Tiezzi, 2005. "An empirical analysis of tobacco addiction in Italy," The European Journal of Health Economics, Springer, vol. 6(3), pages 233-243, September.
- Roger Collet & Mathieu De Lapparent & Laurent Hivert, 2010. "Addiction to car use and dynamic elasticity measures in France," Post-Print hal-00614966, HAL.
- Chris Hand, 2002. "The Distribution and Predictability of Cinema Admissions," Journal of Cultural Economics, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 53-64, February.
- Fernandez-Blanco, Victor & Orea, Luis & Prieto-Rodriguez, Juan, 2009. "Analyzing consumers heterogeneity and self-reported tastes: An approach consistent with the consumer's decision making process," Journal of Economic Psychology, Elsevier, vol. 30(4), pages 622-633, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.