A rank-dependent utility model of uncertain lifetime, time consistency and life insurance
AbstractIn a continuous time life cycle model of consumption with uncertain lifetime and no ''pure time preference", we use a non-parametric specification of rank dependent utility theory to characterize the preferences of the agents. From normative point of view, the paper discusses the implication of adding an axiom of time consistency to the former model. We prove that time consistency holds for a much wider class of probability weighting functions than the identity one characterizing the expected utility model. This special class of probability weighting functions provides foundations for a constant subjective rate of discount which interact multiplicatively with the instantaneous conditional probability of dying. We show that even if agent are time consistent, life annuities no more provide perfect insurance against the risk to live.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by HAL in its series Université Paris1 Panthéon-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) with number halshs-00748662.
Date of creation: 13 Nov 2012
Date of revision:
Note: View the original document on HAL open archive server: http://halshs.archives-ouvertes.fr/halshs-00748662
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://hal.archives-ouvertes.fr/
intertemporal choice; life cycle theory of consumption and saving; uncertain lifetime; life insurance; time consistency; rank dependent utility.;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-11-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-HEA-2012-11-17 (Health Economics)
- NEP-IAS-2012-11-17 (Insurance Economics)
- NEP-UPT-2012-11-17 (Utility Models & Prospect Theory)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Alexander Ludwig & Alexander Zimper, 2007.
"A Parsimonious Model of Subjective Life Expectancy,"
MEA discussion paper series
07154, Munich Center for the Economics of Aging (MEA) at the Max Planck Institute for Social Law and Social Policy.
- A. Ludwig & A. Zimper, 2013. "A parsimonious model of subjective life expectancy," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 75(4), pages 519-541, October.
- Alexander Ludwig & Alexander Zimper, 2008. "A parsimonious model of subjective life expectancy," Working Papers 74, Economic Research Southern Africa.
- Ludwig, Alexander & Zimper, Alexander, 2007. "A Parsimonious Model of Subjective Life Expectancy," Sonderforschungsbereich 504 Publications 07-65, Sonderforschungsbereich 504, Universität Mannheim & Sonderforschungsbereich 504, University of Mannheim.
- Peter D Sozou, 2003. "On Hyperbolic Discounting and Uncertain Hazard Rates," Levine's Working Paper Archive 618897000000000775, David K. Levine.
- Antoine Bommier, 2006.
"Uncertain Lifetime And Intertemporal Choice: Risk Aversion As A Rationale For Time Discounting,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 47(4), pages 1223-1246, November.
- Antoine Bommier, 2001. "Uncertain lifetime and intertemporal choice : risk aversion as a rationale for time discounting," Research Unit Working Papers 0108, Laboratoire d'Economie Appliquee, INRA.
- Nicolas Drouhin, 2009. "Hyperbolic discounting may be time consistent," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2549-2555.
- Yoram Halevy, 2008.
"Strotz Meets Allais: Diminishing Impatience and the Certainty Effect,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 98(3), pages 1145-62, June.
- Halevy, Yoram, 2004. "Strotz meets Allais: Diminishing Impatience and the Certainty Effect," Microeconomics.ca working papers halevy-04-10-29-10-08-43, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 25 Feb 2014.
- Richard Zeckhauser & W. Viscusi, 2008. "Discounting dilemmas: Editors’ introduction," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 95-106, December.
- Bleichrodt, Han & Eeckhoudt, Louis, 2006. "Survival risks, intertemporal consumption, and insurance: The case of distorted probabilities," Insurance: Mathematics and Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 335-346, April.
- Laibson, David, 1997.
"Golden Eggs and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 112(2), pages 443-77, May.
- Loewenstein, George & Prelec, Drazen, 1992. "Anomalies in Intertemporal Choice: Evidence and an Interpretation," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(2), pages 573-97, May.
- Yaari, Menahem E, 1987. "The Dual Theory of Choice under Risk," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(1), pages 95-115, January.
- Leung, Siu Fai, 1994.
"Uncertain Lifetime, the Theory of the Consumer, and the Life Cycle Hypothesis,"
Econometric Society, vol. 62(5), pages 1233-39, September.
- Leung, S.F., 1992. "Uncertain Lifetime, the Theory of the Consumer, and the Life Cycle Hypothesis," RCER Working Papers 323, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Partha Dasgupta & Eric Maskin, 2005.
"Uncertainty and Hyperbolic Discounting,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 95(4), pages 1290-1299, September.
- Alexander Zimper & Alexander Ludwig & Max Groneck, 2012. "A Life-Cycle Consumption Model with Ambiguous Survival Beliefs," 2012 Meeting Papers 693, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Shane Frederick & George Loewenstein & Ted O'Donoghue, 2002. "Time Discounting and Time Preference: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 40(2), pages 351-401, June.
- Enrico Diecidue & Ulrich Schmidt & Horst Zank, 2008.
"Parametric Weighting Functions,"
Kiel Working Papers
1395, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Enrico Diecidue & Ulrich Schmidt & Horst Zank, 2006. "Parametric Weighting Functions," The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series 0622, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Zank, Horst & Schmidt, Ulrich & Diecidue, Enrico, 2007. "Parametric Weighting Functions," Economics Working Papers 2007,01, Christian-Albrechts-University of Kiel, Department of Economics.
- Thaler, Richard, 1981. "Some empirical evidence on dynamic inconsistency," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 8(3), pages 201-207.
- Moresi, Serge, 1999. "Uncertain lifetime, risk aversion and intertemporal substitution," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 62(2), pages 207-212, February.
- Tversky, Amos & Kahneman, Daniel, 1992. " Advances in Prospect Theory: Cumulative Representation of Uncertainty," Journal of Risk and Uncertainty, Springer, vol. 5(4), pages 297-323, October.
- Nicolas Drouhin, 2001. "Lifetime Uncertainty and Time Preference," Theory and Decision, Springer, vol. 51(2), pages 145-172, December.
- Quiggin, John, 1982. "A theory of anticipated utility," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(4), pages 323-343, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (CCSD).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.