Accounting for Unrepresentative Products and Urban-Rural Price Differences in International Comparisons of Real Income: An Application to the Asia-Pacific Region
AbstractThe International Comparisons Program (ICP) run by the World Bank compares the purchasing power of currencies and real income across countries. Using a unique data set consisting of over 600,000 ICP price quotes drawn from nine countries in the Asia-Pacific region, we consider a number of ways of improving the basic heading price indexes that form the building blocks of ICP. In particular, we show how the results can be adjusted to take account of unrepresentative products, urban-rural price differences and differing outlet-type mixes across countries. We also consider the plausibility of the most striking result that emerged from ICP 2005 – that China came out 40 percent smaller than previously thought. Our results suggest that part of this discrepancy can be attributed to excessive sampling in China of unrepresentative products in urban locations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Graz, Department of Economics in its series Graz Economics Papers with number 2012-07.
Date of creation: Dec 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: University of Graz, Universitaetsstr. 15/F4, 8010 Graz, Austria
Phone: ++43 316 380-3440
Fax: ++43 316 380-9520, 9521
Web page: http://volkswirtschaftslehre.uni-graz.at/
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- E01 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General - - - Measurement and Data on National Income and Product Accounts and Wealth; Environmental Accounts
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
reading list or among the top items on IDEAS.Access and download statisticsgeneral information about how to correct material in RePEc.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael Scholz).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.