Improving International Comparisons of Real Output: The ICP 2005 Benchmark and its Implications for China
AbstractThe latest round of the International Comparisons Program (ICP 2005) compares the purchasing power of currencies and real output of 146 countries. Using price quote data from nine countries in the Asia-Pacific region, we consider ways of improving the methods used in ICP 2005 and new applications of these methods (e.g., for calculating rural-urban price differentials). The most striking result in ICP 2005 was that China came out 40 percent smaller than previously thought. We also evaluate the extent to which this finding can be attributed to excessive sampling of prices in China from urban areas or of unrepresentative products.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, The University of New South Wales in its series Discussion Papers with number 2010-25.
Length: 42 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Australian School of Business Building, Sydney 2052
Fax: +61)-2- 9313- 6337
Web page: http://www.economics.unsw.edu.au/
More information through EDIRC
International Comparisons Program; Country-Product-Dummy Method; Price Index; Basic Heading; Urban-Rural Price Differences; Representative and Unrepresentative Products; Asia-Pacific Region;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C43 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Index Numbers and Aggregation
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- O53 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Asia including Middle East
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Summers, Robert, 1973. "International Price Comparisons Based Upon Incomplete Data," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 19(1), pages 1-16, March.
- Gong, Cathy Honge & Meng, Xin, 2008. "Regional Price Differences in Urban China 1986-2001: Estimation and Implication," IZA Discussion Papers 3621, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Breusch, T S & Pagan, A R, 1979. "A Simple Test for Heteroscedasticity and Random Coefficient Variation," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 47(5), pages 1287-94, September.
- Loren Brandt & Carsten A. Holz, 2006.
"Spatial Price Differences in China: Estimates and Implications,"
Economic Development and Cultural Change,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 55, pages 43-86.
- Brandt, Loren & Holz, Carsten A, 2006. "Spatial Price Differences in China: Estimates and Implications," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 55(1), pages 43-86, October.
- Loren BRANDT & Carsten A HOLZ, 2005. "Spatial Price Differences in China: Estimates and Implications," Development and Comp Systems 0504010, EconWPA.
- Loren Brandt & Carsten Holz, 2005. "Spatial Price Differences in China: Estimates and Implications," Microeconomics 0512001, EconWPA.
- Mick Silver, 2009. "The Hedonic Country Product Dummy Method and Quality Adjustments for Purchasing Power Parity Calculations," IMF Working Papers 09/271, International Monetary Fund.
- Hill, Robert J. & Hill, T. Peter, 2009. "Recent Developments In The International Comparison Of Prices And Real Output," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S2), pages 194-217, September.
- Robert J. Hill, 1999. "Comparing Price Levels across Countries Using Minimum-Spanning Trees," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 81(1), pages 135-142, February.
- Ravallion, Martin & van de Walle, Dominique, 1991. "Urban-rural cost-of-living differentials in a developing economy," Journal of Urban Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1), pages 113-127, January.
- Almås, Ingvild & Johnsen, Åshild Auglænd, 2012.
"The cost of living in China: Implications for inequality and poverty,"
Discussion Paper Series in Economics
21/2012, Department of Economics, Norwegian School of Economics.
- Almås, Ingvild & Johnsen, Åshild Auglænd, 2013. "The Cost of Living in China: Implications for Inequality and Poverty," Memorandum 06/2013, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gabriele Gratton).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.