Comparing Price Levels across Countries Using Minimum-Spanning Trees
AbstractIt is shown how a comparison of price levels across a group of countries can be made by chaining bilateral price indexes across a spanning tree. It is argued that we should use the spanning tree whose resulting multilateral price indexes are least sensitive to the choice of bilateral formula. This minimum-spanning tree can be easily computed using Kruskal's algorithm. Results obtained by chaining Fisher indexes across a minimum-spanning tree are compared with the Penn World Table. © 1999 by the President and Fellows of Harvard College and the Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by MIT Press in its journal The Review of Economics and Statistics.
Volume (Year): 81 (1999)
Issue (Month): 1 (February)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://mitpress.mit.edu/journals/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Nicholas Oulton, 2007.
"Chain Indices of the Cost of Living and the Path-Dependence Problem: An Empirical Solution,"
CEP Discussion Papers
dp0797, Centre for Economic Performance, LSE.
- Oulton, Nicholas, 2008. "Chain indices of the cost-of-living and the path-dependence problem: An empirical solution," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 144(1), pages 306-324, May.
- Lee, Boon L. & Rao, D.S. Prasada & Shepherd, William, 2007. "Comparisons of real output and productivity of Chinese and Indian manufacturing, 1980-2002," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 84(1), pages 378-416, September.
- Barnett, William A. & Diewert, W. Erwin & Zellner, Arnold, 2009.
"Introduction to Measurement with Theory,"
14868, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Barnett, William A. & Erwin Diewert, W. & Zellner, Arnold, 2011. "Introduction to measurement with theory," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 161(1), pages 1-5, March.
- Barnett, William A. & Diewert, W. Erwin & Zellner, Arnold, 2009. "Introduction To Measurement With Theory," Macroeconomic Dynamics, Cambridge University Press, vol. 13(S2), pages 151-168, September.
- William Barnett & W. Erwin Diewert & Arnold Zellner, 2009. "Introduction to Measurement with Theory," WORKING PAPERS SERIES IN THEORETICAL AND APPLIED ECONOMICS 200906, University of Kansas, Department of Economics, revised Apr 2009.
- Bettina Aten & Marshall Reinsdorf, 2010. "Comparing the Consistency of Price Parities for Regions of the U.S. in an Economic Approach Framework," BEA Papers 0098, Bureau of Economic Analysis.
- Matteo Pelagatti & Emilio Colombo, 2012. "On the empirical failure of purchasing power parity tests," Working Papers 20120501, Università degli Studi di Milano-Bicocca, Dipartimento di Statistica.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2007. "Index Numbers," Economics working papers diewert-07-01-03-08-17-23, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 31 Jan 2007.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2008. "New Methodology for Linking the Regions," Economics working papers erwin_diewert-2008-9, Vancouver School of Economics, revised 09 Sep 2008.
- Agostino Tarsitano & Rosetta Lombardo, 2011. "An Exhaustive Coefficient Of Rank Correlation," Working Papers 201111, Università della Calabria, Dipartimento di Economia, Statistica e Finanza (Ex Dipartimento di Economia e Statistica).
- Randall Filer & Jan Hanousek & Dana Hajkova, 2007.
"A Rise By Any Other Name? Sensitivity of Growth Regressions to Data Source,"
William Davidson Institute Working Papers Series
wp889, William Davidson Institute at the University of Michigan.
- Hanousek, Jan & Hajkova, Dana & Filer, Randall K., 2008. "A rise by any other name? Sensitivity of growth regressions to data source," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 1188-1206, September.
- Randall Filer & Dana Hajkova & Jan Hanousek, 2007. "A Rise by Any Other Name? Sensitivity of Growth Regressions to Data Source," CESifo Working Paper Series 2064, CESifo Group Munich.
- Johannes Van Biesebroeck, 2009.
"Disaggregate productivity comparisons: sectoral convergence in OECD countries,"
Journal of Productivity Analysis,
Springer, vol. 32(2), pages 63-79, October.
- Johannes Van Biesebroeck, 2007. "Disaggregate Productivity Comparisons: Sectoral Convergence in OECD Countries," Working Papers tecipa-290, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Johannes Van Biesebroeck, 2004. "Cross-country Conversion Factors for Sectoral Productivity Comparisons," NBER Working Papers 10279, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Cheong, Siew Ann & Fornia, Robert Paulo & Lee, Gladys Hui Ting & Kok, Jun Liang & Yim, Woei Shyr & Xu, Danny Yuan & Zhang, Yiting, 2011. "The Japanese economy in crises: A time series segmentation study," Economics Discussion Papers 2011-24, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Ludwig Auer, 2012. "Räumliche Preisvergleiche: Aggregationskonzepte und Forschungsperspektiven," AStA Wirtschafts- und Sozialstatistisches Archiv, Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 27-56, December.
- Cheong, Siew Ann & Fornia, Robert Paulo & Lee, Gladys Hui Ting & Kok, Jun Liang & Yim, Woei Shyr & Xu, Danny Yuan & Zhang, Yiting, 2012. "The Japanese economy in crises: A time series segmentation study," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 6(5), pages 1-81.
- Agostino Tarsitano & Rosetta Lombardo, 2013. "A Coefficient of Correlation Based on Ratios of Ranks and Anti-ranks," Journal of Economics and Statistics (Jahrbuecher fuer Nationaloekonomie und Statistik), Justus-Liebig University Giessen, Department of Statistics and Economics, vol. 233(2), pages 206-224, March.
- Robert J. Hill & Iqbal Syed, 2010. "Improving International Comparisons of Real Output: The ICP 2005 Benchmark and its Implications for China," Discussion Papers 2010-25, School of Economics, The University of New South Wales.
- Dias, João, 2012. "Sovereign debt crisis in the European Union: A minimum spanning tree approach," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 391(5), pages 2046-2055.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Karie Kirkpatrick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.