Business Demography Dynamics in Portugal: A Non-Parametric Survival Analysis
AbstractWe address the post-entry performance of new Portuguese firms by investigating the structural characteristics of the hazard and survival functions, using non-parametric survival analysis. In order to approach prevalence of some stylized facts and determinants of new firm survival, we produced a new entrepreneurship database, using the administrative data of Quadros de Pessoal, following the Eurostat/OECD´s internationally comparable business demography methodology. This allowed the computation of a comprehensive array of entrepreneurship indicators on employer enterprise and survival dynamics in Portugal, over a period of 18 years, disaggregated in dimensions such as sectors, regions and size classes.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra in its series GEMF Working Papers with number 2010-09.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Av. Dias da Silva, 165, 3004-512 COIMBRA
Phone: + 351 239 790 500
Fax: +351 239 403511
Web page: http://gemf.fe.uc.pt/index_en.htm
More information through EDIRC
Entrepreneurship; Business Demography; Business Survival; Performance Determinants; Micro-data.;
Other versions of this item:
- Alcina Nunes & Elsa Sarmento, 2010. "Business Demography Dynamics In Portugal: A Non-Parametric Survival Analysis," GEE Papers 0022, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Sep 2010.
- M13 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - New Firms; Startups
- M20 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-03 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2010-07-03 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-SBM-2010-07-03 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Lu�s M B Cabral & Jos� Mata, 2003.
"On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 93(4), pages 1075-1090, September.
- Cabral, Luís M B & Mata, José, 2001. "On the Evolution of the Firm Size Distribution: Facts and Theory," CEPR Discussion Papers 3045, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Holger Görg & Eric Strobl & Frances Ruane, 2000. "The Determinants Of Firm Start-Up Size: A Comparison Of Ireland And Portugal," Trinity Economics Papers 20008, Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2011.
"Size, innovation and internationalization: a survival analysis of Italian firms,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 43(12), pages 1511-1520.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2007. "Size, Innovation and Internationalization: A Survival Analysis of Italian Firms," Working Papers Series wp2007_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze dell'Economia e Dell'Impresa.
- Zoltan Acs & Sameeksha Desai & Leora Klapper, 2008.
"What does “entrepreneurship” data really show?,"
Small Business Economics,
Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 265-281, October.
- Audretsch, David B. & Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 1999. "Start-up size and industrial dynamics: some evidence from Italian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 965-983, October.
- Klapper, Leora & Delgado, Juan Manuel Quesada, 2009. "The impact of the business environment on the business creation process," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4937, The World Bank.
- Arnab Bhattacharjee, 2005.
"Models of Firm Dynamics and the Hazard Rate of Exits: Reconciling Theory and Evidence using Hazard Regression Models,"
CRIEFF Discussion Papers
0502, Centre for Research into Industry, Enterprise, Finance and the Firm.
- Arnab Bhattacharjee, 2005. "Models of Firm Dynamics and the Hazard Rate of Exits: Reconciling Theory and Evidence using Hazard Regression Models," Econometrics 0503021, EconWPA.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Mata, Jose & Machado, Jose A. F., 1996. "Firm start-up size: A conditional quantile approach," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(6), pages 1305-1323, June.
- Audretsch, David B & Mahmood, Talat, 1995. "New Firm Survival: New Results Using a Hazard Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 97-103, February.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995.
"The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995. "The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Sanghoon Ahn, 2001. "Firm Dynamics and Productivity Growth: A Review of Micro Evidence from OECD Countries," OECD Economics Department Working Papers 297, OECD Publishing.
- Paloma López-García & Sergio Puente, 2006. "Business demography in Spain: determinants of firm survival," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0608, Banco de Espa�a.
- Eric Bartelsman & Stefano Scarpetta & Fabiano Schivardi, 2005. "Comparative analysis of firm demographics and survival: evidence from micro-level sources in OECD countries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 14(3), pages 365-391, June.
- Klapper, Leora & Amit, Raphael & Guillen, Mauro F. & Quesada, Juan Manuel, 2007.
"Entrepreneurship and firm formation across countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
4313, The World Bank.
- Leora Klapper & Raphael Amit & Mauro F. Guillén, 2010. "Entrepreneurship and Firm Formation across Countries," NBER Chapters, in: International Differences in Entrepreneurship, pages 129-158 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-45, September.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Mata, Jose, 1993. "Entry and type of entrant : Evidence from Portugal," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 11(1), pages 101-122, March.
- Alcina Nunes & Elsa de Morais Sarmento, 2010. "Business Survival in Portuguese Regions," GEMF Working Papers 2010-22, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Elsa de Morais Sarmento & Alcina Nunes, 2011. "Criação de empresas em Portugal e Espanha: análise comparativa com base nos dados do Banco Mundial," GEE Papers 0036, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised May 2011.
- Elsa de Morais Sarmento & Alcina Nunes, 2012. "The Dynamics of Employer Entreprise Creation in Portugal Over the Last Two Decades: A Firm Size, Regional and Sectoral Perspective," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 36, pages 6-22, December.
- Elsa Sarmento & Alcina Nunes, 2010. "Comparative Survival Analysis of Firms: the case of the Portuguese North region," Working Papers de Economia (Economics Working Papers) 53, Departamento de Economia, Gestão e Engenharia Industrial, Universidade de Aveiro.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sara Santos).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.