The Survival and Growth of New Establishments in Sweden, 1987-1995
AbstractThe aim of the study is to examine the survival of new establishments and to identify factors affecting their survival probability and their employment growth.This study uses a unique data set on all new establishments that were created in Sweden 1987 and 1988, with the exception of the construction industry. The results show among others that:(i) new establishments face a high risk of closing down, (ii) the probability of establishment survival increases with the age and size of the establishment,(iii) variables that are assumed to measure access to resources (being a part of a multi-unit firm,and being new due to merger or dispersal) have a positive effect on survival, (iv) the number of employees at the start- up year has a negative effect on the employment growth, and (v) demographic and educational factors are important in explaining survival and growth. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 2004
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Small Business Economics.
Volume (Year): 23 (2004)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=100338
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Baldwin,John R. & Gorecki,Paul With contributions by-Name:Caves,Richard E., 1998.
"The Dynamics of Industrial Competition,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521633574, April.
- Honjo, Yuji, 2000. "Business failure of new firms: an empirical analysis using a multiplicative hazards model," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 557-574, May.
- Audretsch, David B & Mahmood, Talat, 1995. "New Firm Survival: New Results Using a Hazard Function," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 77(1), pages 97-103, February.
- Bruderl, Josef & Preisendorfer, Peter, 1998. " Network Support and the Success of Newly Founded Businesses," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 10(3), pages 213-25, May.
- Doms, Mark & Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J., 1995. "The role of technology use in the survival and growth of manufacturing plants," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 523-542, December.
- Guimaraes, Paulo & Mata, José & Portugal, Pedro, 1995.
"The Survival of New Plants: Start-up Conditions and Post-entry Evolution,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1203, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro & Guimaraes, Paulo, 1995. "The survival of new plants: Start-up conditions and post-entry evolution," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 459-481, December.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"The Growth And Failure Of U.S. Manufacturing Plants,"
1-87-5, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Dunne, Timothy & Roberts, Mark J & Samuelson, Larry, 1989. "The Growth and Failure of U.S. Manufacturing Plants," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 104(4), pages 671-98, November.
- Geroski, P. A., 1995. "What do we know about entry?," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 421-440, December.
- Dunne, T. & Roberts, M.J. & Samuelson, L., 1988.
"Pattenrs Of Firm Entry And Exit In U.S. Manufacturing Industries,"
1-88-2, Pennsylvania State - Department of Economics.
- Timothy Dunne & Mark J. Roberts & Larry Samuelson, 1988. "Patterns of Firm Entry and Exit in U.S. Manufacturing Industries," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 19(4), pages 495-515, Winter.
- Mata, Jose & Portugal, Pedro, 1994. "Life Duration of New Firms," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 42(3), pages 227-45, September.
- Baldwin, John R. & Raffiquzzaman, Mohammed, 1995.
"Selection Versus Evolutionary Adaptation: Learning and Post-entry Performance,"
Analytical Studies Branch Research Paper Series
1994072e, Statistics Canada, Analytical Studies Branch.
- Baldwin, John R. & Rafiquzzaman, Mohammed, 1995. "Selection versus evolutionary adaptation: Learning and post-entry performance," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 501-522, December.
- Forsfält, Tomas, 1999. "The Effects of Risk Aversion and Age on Investments in New Firms," Research Papers in Economics 1999:18, Stockholm University, Department of Economics.
- Jovanovic, Boyan, 1982. "Selection and the Evolution of Industry," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(3), pages 649-70, May.
- Rosa, Peter & Carter, Sara & Hamilton, Daphne, 1996. " Gender as a Determinant of Small Business Performance: Insights from a British Study," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(6), pages 463-78, December.
- Tveteras, Ragnar & Eide, Geir Egil, 2000. " Survival of New Plants in Different Industry Environments in Norwegian Manufacturing: A Semi-proportional Cox Model Approach," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 14(1), pages 65-82, February.
- Boeri, Tito & Bellmann, Lutz, 1995. "Post-entry behaviour and the cycle: Evidence from Germany," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 483-500, December.
- Audretsch, David B. & Santarelli, Enrico & Vivarelli, Marco, 1999. "Start-up size and industrial dynamics: some evidence from Italian manufacturing," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 17(7), pages 965-983, October.
- Brito, Paulo & Mello, Antonio S., 1995. "Financial constraints and firm post-entry performance," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 543-565, December.
- Boeri, Tito & Cramer, Ulrich, 1992. "Employment growth, incumbents and entrants : Evidence from Germany," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 10(4), pages 545-565, December.
- Evans, David S, 1987. "Tests of Alternative Theories of Firm Growth," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 95(4), pages 657-74, August.
- Muhammad Arafat Noordin & Shahimi Mohtar, 2014. "Age: Does it Matter for Firms to Perform?," International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, Human Resource Management Academic Research Society, International Journal of Academic Research in Business and Social Sciences, vol. 4(3), pages 252-260, March.
- Martin Andersson & Florian Noseleit, 2008.
"Start-Ups and Employment Growth - Evidence from Sweden,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2008-091, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Andersson, Martin & Noseleit, Florian, 2008. "Start-Ups and Employment Growth - Evidence from Sweden," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 155, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Z. Whitman & T. Wilson & E. Seville & J. Vargo & J. Stevenson & H. Kachali & J. Cole, 2013. "Rural organizational impacts, mitigation strategies, and resilience to the 2010 Darfield earthquake, New Zealand," Natural Hazards, International Society for the Prevention and Mitigation of Natural Hazards, vol. 69(3), pages 1849-1875, December.
- Nyström, Kristina, 2008. "Is Entrepreneurship the Salvation for Enhanced Economic Growth?," Working Paper Series in Economics and Institutions of Innovation 143, Royal Institute of Technology, CESIS - Centre of Excellence for Science and Innovation Studies.
- Jean-Pierre Huiban, 2011. "The spatial demography of new plants: urban creation and rural survival," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 37(1), pages 73-86, July.
- Andreas Koch & Jochen Späth & Harald Strotmann, 2012.
"The Role of Employees for Post-Entry Firm Growth,"
IAW Discussion Papers
78, Institut für Angewandte Wirtschaftsforschung (IAW).
- Yanling Wang, 2010. "Exposure to FDI and New Plant Survival: Evidence in Canada," Carleton Economic Papers 10-05, Carleton University, Department of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.