Size, innovation and internationalization: a survival analysis of Italian firms
AbstractFirms' survival is often seen as crucial for economic growth and competitiveness. This article focuses on business demography of Italian firms, using an original database, obtained by matching and merging to gain the intersection of three firm level datasets. This database allows us to simultaneously consider the effect of size, technology, trade, FDIs and innovation on firms' survival probability. We show that size and technological level positively affect the likelihood of survival. Internationalized firms show higher failure risk: on average competition is stronger in international markets, forcing firms to be more efficient. However, large internationalized firms are more likely to 'survive'. An Italian internationalized firm to be successful and to survive, should be high-tech, large and innovative.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Applied Economics.
Volume (Year): 43 (2011)
Issue (Month): 12 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/RAEC20
Other versions of this item:
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2007. "Size, Innovation and Internationalization: A Survival Analysis of Italian Firms," Working Papers - Economics wp2007_07, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L25 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Firm Performance
- F21 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - International Investment; Long-Term Capital Movements
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Deng, Ziliang & Guo, Honglin & Zhang, Weifu & Wang, Chengqi, 2014. "Innovation and survival of exporters: A contingency perspective," International Business Review, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 396-406.
- Stephanie Fernhaber, 2013. "Untangling the relationship between new venture internationalization and performance," Journal of International Entrepreneurship, Springer, vol. 11(3), pages 220-242, September.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro, 2014. "Global financial crisis, corporate governance, and firm survival:," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 178-211.
- Alcina Nunes & Elsa Sarmento, 2010.
"Business Demography Dynamics in Portugal: A Non-Parametric Survival Analysis,"
GEMF Working Papers
2010-09, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Alcina Nunes & Elsa Sarmento, 2010. "Business Demography Dynamics In Portugal: A Non-Parametric Survival Analysis," GEE Papers 0022, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Sep 2010.
- Ferragina, Anna & Pittiglio, Rosanna & Reganati, Filippo, 2012. "Multinational status and firm exit in the Italian manufacturing and service sectors," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 23(4), pages 363-372.
- FERRAGINA, Anna Maria, 2013.
"The Impact of FDI on Firm Survival and Employment: A Comparative Analysis for Turkey and Italy,"
CELPE Discussion Papers
127, CELPE - Centre of Labour Economics and Economic Policy, University of Salerno, Italy.
- Anna Maria Ferragina & Fernanda Mazzotta & Erol Taymaz & Kamil Yilmalz, 2013. "The Impact Of Fdi On Firm Survival And Employment: A Comparative Analysis For Turkey And Italy," ERSA conference papers ersa13p1211, European Regional Science Association.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2013.
"Heterogeneity in managerial strategies and internationalization of firms: the case of Italy,"
ECONOMIA E POLITICA INDUSTRIALE,
FrancoAngeli Editore, vol. 2013(2), pages 51-66.
- Giorgia Giovannetti & Giorgio Ricchiuti & Margherita Velucchi, 2010. "Heterogeneity in Managerial Strategies and Internationalization of Firms: the case of Italy," Working Papers - Economics wp2010_04.rdf, Universita' degli Studi di Firenze, Dipartimento di Scienze per l'Economia e l'Impresa.
- Huong Vu & Steven Lim, 2013. "Exports and Firm survival: The first evidence from Vietnam private manufacturing SMEs," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 33(2), pages 1259-1268.
- Vu, Van Huong, 2012. "Private manufacturing SMEs survival and growth in Vietnam: The role of export participation," MPRA Paper 42489, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- De Masi, G. & Giovannetti, G. & Ricchiuti, G., 2013. "Network analysis to detect common strategies in Italian foreign direct investment," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(5), pages 1202-1214.
- Ratbek Dzhumashev & Vinod Mishra & Russell Smyth, 2011. "Exporting, R&D Investment and Firm Survival," Monash Economics Working Papers 39-11, Monash University, Department of Economics.
- Iwasaki, Ichiro, 2013. "Global Financial Crisis, Corporate Governance, and Firm Survival: The Russian Experience," RRC Working Paper Series 37, Russian Research Center, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Aldaba, Rafaelita M., 2012. "Surviving Trade Liberalization in Philippine Manufacturing," Discussion Papers DP 2012-10, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.