The Determinants Of Firm Start-Up Size: A Comparison Of Ireland And Portugal
AbstractIn this paper we provide empirical evidence on the determinants of firm start-up size using data for the manufacturing sector in Ireland, and compare our results with recent findings for Portuguese manufacturing industries (Mata and Machado, 1996). To allow for firm heterogeneity between firm entrants we use quantile regression techniques for our empirical estimation. We find that the determinants of start-up size differ in their importance for small and large-scale entrants. In particular, industry size and industry growth seem to affect large-scale entrants only.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Trinity College Dublin, Department of Economics in its series Trinity Economics Papers with number 20008.
Date of creation: 2000
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L11 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Production, Pricing, and Market Structure; Size Distribution of Firms
- L60 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Manufacturing - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Elsa de Morais Sarmento & Alcina Nunes, 2011. "Criação de empresas em Portugal e Espanha: análise comparativa com base nos dados do Banco Mundial," GEE Papers 0036, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised May 2011.
- Natalia Nehrebecka, 2011. "Analysis of Polish business demography using Markov chains," Working Papers 2011-06, Faculty of Economic Sciences, University of Warsaw.
- Alcina Nunes & Elsa Sarmento, 2010.
"Business Demography Dynamics in Portugal: A Non-Parametric Survival Analysis,"
GEMF Working Papers
2010-09, GEMF - Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra.
- Alcina Nunes & Elsa Sarmento, 2010. "Business Demography Dynamics In Portugal: A Non-Parametric Survival Analysis," GEE Papers 0022, Gabinete de Estratégia e Estudos, Ministério da Economia e da Inovação, revised Sep 2010.
- Bruno De Paula Rocha & Márcio Issao Nakane, 2011. "Entries, Exits And The Resourceallocation: An Analysis Of The Banking Intermediation In Brazil," Anais do XXXVIII Encontro Nacional de Economia [Proceedings of the 38th Brazilian Economics Meeting] 092, ANPEC - Associação Nacional dos Centros de Pósgraduação em Economia [Brazilian Association of Graduate Programs in Economics].
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Patricia Hughes).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.