Performance in distribution systems : What is the influence of the upstream firm’s organizational choices ?
AbstractThis paper studies the performance of distribution networks as the result of a range of organizational choices made by the upstream firm. The analytical part of the paper surveys the vast literature devoted to franchising and to dual distribution. From this framework, several testable propositions are derived, linking the networks performance to the organizational choices. Three complementary criteria of performance are taken into account : the internationalization rate, the expansion rate, the market share. The paper provides evidence that these criteria are empirically related. Thus, a system of simultaneous equations is defined, free of endogeneity relating to the explanatory variables. The estimations on recent French data by means of the three-least squares method provide robust results, and show that the type of distribution network, the number of company-owned units in the network, the type of sector, and the choice to manage several networks simultaneously affect the performance in distribution systems.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure in its series Working Papers with number 1224.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 93, chemin des Mouilles - B.P.167 69131 - Ecully cedex
Phone: 33(0)472 29 30 89
Fax: 33(0)47229 30 90
Web page: http://www.gate.cnrs.fr/
More information through EDIRC
Franchising; Organizational choices; Endogeneity; Simultaneous Equations;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C31 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models; Quantile Regressions; Social Interaction Models
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-09-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2012-09-16 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2012-09-16 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Luis Vázquez, 2005. "Up-front Franchise Fees and Ongoing Variable Payments as Substitutes: An Agency Perspective," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 26(4), pages 445-460, 06.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 2001.
"Targeting Managerial Control: Evidence from Franchising,"
NBER Working Papers
8416, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Francine Lafontaine & Kathryn L. Shaw, 2005. "Targeting Managerial Control: Evidence from Franchising," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 36(1), pages 131-150, Spring.
- Michael J. Mazzeo, 2004. "Retail Contracting and Organizational Form: Alternatives to Chain Affiliation in the Motel Industry," Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 13(4), pages 599-615, December.
- Lucy F. Ackert & George Athanassakos, 2003. "A Simultaneous Equations Analysis of Analysts' Forecast Bias, Analyst Following, and Institutional Ownership," Journal of Business Finance & Accounting, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 30, pages 1017-1042.
- Magali Chaudey & Muriel Fadairo, 2010. "Contractual design and networks performance: empirical evidence from franchising," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 529-533.
- Arrunada, Benito & Garicano, Luis & Vazquez, Luis, 2001.
"Contractual Allocation of Decision Rights and Incentives: The Case of Automobile Distribution,"
Journal of Law, Economics and Organization,
Oxford University Press, vol. 17(1), pages 257-84, April.
- Benito Arruñada & Luis Garicano & Luis Vázquez, 1999. "Contractual allocation of decision rights and incentives: The case of automobile distribution," Economics Working Papers 424, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Kidwell, Roland E. & Nygaard, Arne & Silkoset, Ragnhild, 2007. "Antecedents and effects of free riding in the franchisor-franchisee relationship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 22(4), pages 522-544, July.
- James A. Brickley, 2002. "Royalty Rates and Upfront Fees in Share Contracts: Evidence from Franchising," Journal of Law, Economics and Organization, Oxford University Press, vol. 18(2), pages 511-535, October.
- Francine Lafontaine, 1992. "Agency Theory and Franchising: Some Empirical Results," RAND Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 23(2), pages 263-283, Summer.
- Brickley, James A, 1999. "Incentive Conflicts and Contractual Restraints: Evidence from Franchising," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 42(2), pages 745-74, October.
- Dahlstrom, Robert & Haugland, Sven A. & Nygaard, Arne & Rokkan, Aksel I., 2009. "Governance structures in the hotel industry," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 62(8), pages 841-847, August.
- Renáta Kosová & Francine Lafontaine & Rozenn Perrigot, 2013. "Organizational Form and Performance: Evidence from the Hotel Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 95(4), pages 1303-1323, October.
- Combs, James G. & Ketchen, David Jr. & Hoover, Vera L., 2004. "A strategic groups approach to the franchising-performance relationship," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 19(6), pages 877-897, November.
- Luis V�zquez, 2007. "Proportion of Franchised Outlets and Franchise System Performance," The Service Industries Journal, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 27(7), pages 907-921, October.
- Williams, Darrell L., 1999. "Why do entrepreneurs become franchisees? an empirical analysis of organizational choice," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 103-124, January.
- Mathewson, G Frank & Winter, Ralph A, 1985. "The Economics of Franchise Contracts," Journal of Law and Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 28(3), pages 503-26, October.
- Shane, Scott A., 1996. "Why franchise companies expand overseas," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 73-88, March.
- Benito Arruñada & Luis Vázquez & Giorgio Zanarone, 1999.
"Institutional constraints on organizations: The case of Spanish car dealerships,"
Economics Working Papers
348, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, revised Jun 2007.
- Benito Arruñada & Luis Vázquez & Giorgio Zanarone, 2009. "Institutional constraints on organizations: the case of Spanish car dealerships," Managerial and Decision Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 30(1), pages 15-26.
- Windsperger, Josef, 2004. "Centralization of franchising networks: evidence from the Austrian franchise sector," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 57(12), pages 1361-1369, December.
- Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Theory of Industrial Organization," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262200716, December.
- Thierry Pénard & Emmanuel Raynaud & Stéphane Saussier, 2011. "Monitoring Policy and Organizational Forms in Franchised Chains," International Journal of the Economics of Business, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 399-417, November.
- Etienne Pfister & Bruno Deffains & Myriam Doriat-Duban & StÃ©phane Saussier, 2006. "Institutions and contracts: Franchising," European Journal of Law and Economics, Springer, vol. 21(1), pages 53-78, January.
- Rajiv Lal, 1990. "Improving Channel Coordination Through Franchising," Marketing Science, INFORMS, vol. 9(4), pages 299-318.
- Federico Ciliberto, 2006. "DOES ORGANIZATIONAL FORM AFFECT INVESTMENT DECISIONS? -super-* ," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 54(1), pages 63-93, 03.
- Pierre Azoulay & Scott Shane, 2001. "Entrepreneurs, Contracts, and the Failure of Young Firms," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 47(3), pages 337-358, March.
- Kashyap, Vishal & Sivadas, Eugene, 2012. "An exploratory examination of shared values in channel relationships," Journal of Business Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(5), pages 586-593.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Nelly Wirth).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.