A typology for vulnerability and agriculture in Sub-Saharan Africa:
Abstract"This paper considers vulnerability reduction in Sub-Saharan Africa (SSA) from a more aggregated macro viewpoint. We focus on risk related to agriculture, since vulnerability and agriculture are intimately linked in SSA due to the location of the poor, their dependence on agriculture and the inherent risks of an agricultural livelihood. We argue that agricultural growth is one of the most effective means for improving permanent incomes and reducing vulnerability. However, agriculture is not homogeneous, and the inherent risks vary across countries and regions. Therefore, we also discuss appropriate investment strategies and policy instruments for different sets of risks." from Authors' Abstract
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series IFPRI discussion papers with number 734.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Agriculture; Vulnerability; Typology;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AFR-2008-03-25 (Africa)
- NEP-AGR-2008-03-25 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2008-03-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2008-03-25 (Development)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Diao, Xinshen & Hazell, P.B.R. & Resnick, Danielle & Thurlow, James, 2007.
"The role of agriculture in development: Implications for Sub-Saharan Africa,"
153, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Diao, Xinshen & Hazell, Peter & Resnick, Danielle & Thurlow, James, 2006. "The role of agriculture in development: implications for Sub-Saharan Africa," DSGD discussion papers 29, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Smith, Lisa C. & Naiken, Logan, 1998. "Can FAO's measure of chronic undernourishment be strengthened?," FCND discussion papers 44, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Alwang, Jeffrey & Siegel, Paul B. & Jorgensen, Steen L., 2001. "Vulnerability : a view from different disciplines," Social Protection Discussion Papers 23304, The World Bank.
- Jansen, Hans G.P. & Siegel, Paul B. & Pichón, Francisco, 2005. "Identifying the drivers of sustainable rural growth and poverty reduction in Honduras," DSGD discussion papers 19, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Smith, Lisa C., 1998. "Can FAO's measure of chronic undernourishment be strengthened?," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 425-445, October.
- Alderman, Harold & Haque, Trina, 2006. "Countercyclical safety nets for the poor and vulnerable," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 372-383, August.
- Donovan, Cynthia & Bailey, Linda & Mpyisi, Edson & Weber, Michael T., 2003. "Prime-Age Adult Morbidity and Mortality in Rural Rwanda: Effects on Household Income, Agricultural Production, and Food Security Strategies," Food Security Collaborative Working Papers 55387, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Ndulu,Benno J. & O'Connell,Stephen A. & Bates,Robert H. & Collier,Paul & Soludo,Chukwuma C., 2009. "The Political Economy of Economic Growth in Africa, 1960–2000," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521127752, November.
- Diaz-Bonilla, Eugenio & Robinson, Sherman & Thomas, Marcelle, 2002. "On boxes, contents, and users," TMD discussion papers 82, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Lilyan E. Fulginiti & Richard K. Perrin & Bingxin Yu, 2005.
"Institutions and Agricultural Productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa,"
Development and Comp Systems
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2004. "Institutions and agricultural productivity in Sub-Saharan Africa," Agricultural Economics, Blackwell, vol. 31(2-3), pages 169-180, December.
- Fulginiti, Lilyan E. & Perrin, Richard K. & Yu, Bingxin, 2003. "Institutions And Agricultural Productivity In Sub-Sahara Africa," 2003 Annual Meeting, August 16-22, 2003, Durban, South Africa 25818, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Byerlee, Derek & Jayne, T.S. & Myers, Robert J., 2006. "Managing food price risks and instability in a liberalizing market environment: Overview and policy options," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 275-287, August.
- Hoddinott, John & Quisumbing, Agnes, 2003. "Methods for microeconometric risk and vulnerability assessments," Social Protection Discussion Papers 29138, The World Bank.
- Barrett, C. B. & Reardon, T. & Webb, P., 2001. "Nonfarm income diversification and household livelihood strategies in rural Africa: concepts, dynamics, and policy implications," Food Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(4), pages 315-331, August.
- Svedberg, Peter, 2001. "Undernutrition Overestimated," Seminar Papers 693, Stockholm University, Institute for International Economic Studies.
- Frank Ellis & H Ade Freeman, 2004. "Rural Livelihoods and Poverty Reduction Strategies in Four African Countries," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 40(4), pages 1-30.
- Bigsten, Arne & Shimeles, Abebe, 2004. "Dynamics of Poverty in Ethiopia," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Bob Baulch & John Hoddinott, 2000. "Economic mobility and poverty dynamics in developing countries," The Journal of Development Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 36(6), pages 1-24.
- Yamano, Takashi & Jayne, T. S., 2004. "Measuring the Impacts of Working-Age Adult Mortality on Small-Scale Farm Households in Kenya," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(1), pages 91-119, January.
- Yu, Bingxin & You, Liangzhi & Fan, Shenggen, 2010. "Toward a typology of food security in developing countries:," IFPRI discussion papers 945, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gbetibouo, Glwadys Aymone & Ringler, Claudia, 2009. "Mapping South African farming sector vulnerability to climate change and variability: A subnational assessment," IFPRI discussion papers 885, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.