How cost-effective is biofortification in combating micronutrient malnutrition?: An ex-ante assessment
Abstract"Biofortification is increasingly seen as an additional tool to combat micronutrient malnutrition. This paper presents, for the first time, evidence on the costs and potential benefits of biofortification for a large number of countries in Africa, Asia and Latin America. We use a modification of the Disability-Adjusted Life Years framework to conclude that the intervention can make a significant impact on the burden of micronutrient deficiencies in the developing world, and can do so in a highly cost-effective manner." Authors' Abstract
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series HarvestPlus Working Papers with number 2.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
General Biofortification; Cost-effectiveness; Micronutrient malnutrition;
Other versions of this item:
- Meenakshi, J.V. & Johnson, Nancy L. & Manyong, Victor M. & DeGroote, Hugo & Javelosa, Josyline & Yanggen, David R. & Naher, Firdousi & Gonzalez, Carolina & García, James & Meng, Erika, 2010. "How Cost-Effective is Biofortification in Combating Micronutrient Malnutrition? An Ex ante Assessment," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 38(1), pages 64-75, January.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hoffmann, Vivian, 2009. "What You Donâ€™t Know Can Hurt You: Micronutrient Content and Fungal Contamination of Foods in Developing Countries," Agricultural and Resource Economics Review, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, Northeastern Agricultural and Resource Economics Association, vol. 38(2), October.
- Gonzalez, Carolina & Perez Suarez, Salomon & Cardoso, Carlos Estevao Leite & Andrade, Robert & Johnson, Nancy L., 2012. "Analysis of Diffusion Strategies in Northeast Brazil for New Cassava Varieties With Inproved Nutritional Quality," 2012 Conference, August 18-24, 2012, Foz do Iguacu, Brazil, International Association of Agricultural Economists 126695, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Brauw, Alan de & Eozenou, Patrick & Gilligan, Dan & Hotz, Christine & Kumar, Neha & Meenakshi, J.V., 2013. "Biofortification, crop adoption and health information: Impact pathways in Mozambique and Uganda," 2013 Annual Meeting, August 4-6, 2013, Washington, D.C., Agricultural and Applied Economics Association 150514, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association.
- Gunaratna, Nilupa S. & De Groote, Hugo & McCabe, G.P., 2008. "Evaluating the Impact of Biofortification: A Meta-analysis of Community-level Studies on Quality Protein Maize (QPM)," 2008 International Congress, August 26-29, 2008, Ghent, Belgium, European Association of Agricultural Economists 44166, European Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Stein, Alexander J., 2013. "Rethinking the measurement of undernutrition in a broader health context: Should we look at possible causes or actual effects:," IFPRI discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 1298, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mogues, Tewodaj & Yu, Bingxin & Fan, Shenggen & Mcbride, Linden, 2012. "The impacts of public investment in and for agriculture: Synthesis of the existing evidence," IFPRI discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 1217, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Gunaratna, Nilupa S. & Groote, Hugo De & Nestel, Penelope & Pixley, Kevin V. & McCabe, George P., 2010. "A meta-analysis of community-based studies on quality protein maize," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 35(3), pages 202-210, June.
- Nguema, Abigail & Norton, George W. & Fregene, Martin & Sayre, Richard & Manary, Mark, 2011. "Expected economic benefits of meeting nutritional needs through biofortified cassava in Nigeria and Kenya," African Journal of Agricultural and Resource Economics, African Association of Agricultural Economists, African Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 6(1), March.
- Asare-Marfo, Dorene & Birol, Ekin & Gonzalez, Carolina & Moursi, Mourad & Perez, Salomon & Schwarz, Jana & Zeller, Manfred, 2013. "Prioritizing countries for biofortification Interventions using country-level data," HarvestPlus Working Papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 11, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Birol, Ekin & Asare-Marfo, Dorene & Karandikar,Bhushana & Roy, Devesh, 2011. "A latent class approach to investigating farmer demand for biofortified staple food crops in developing countries: The case of high-iron pearl millet in Maharashtra, India," HarvestPlus Working Papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 7, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Ecker, Olivier & Mabiso, Athur & Kennedy, Adam & Diao, Xinshen 22905, 2011. "Making agriculture pro-nutrition: Opportunities in Tanzania," IFPRI discussion papers, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) 1124, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- De Groote, Hugo & Gunaratna, Nilupa S. & Ergano, Kebebe & Friesen, Dennis, 2010. "Extension and adoption of biofortified crops: Quality protein maize in East Africa," 2010 AAAE Third Conference/AEASA 48th Conference, September 19-23, 2010, Cape Town, South Africa, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE);Agricultural Economics Association of South Afri 96429, African Association of Agricultural Economists (AAAE);Agricultural Economics Association of South Africa (AEASA).
- Dawson, Ian K. & Hedley, Peter E. & Guarino, Luigi & Jaenicke, Hannah, 2009. "Does biotechnology have a role in the promotion of underutilised crops?," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 319-328, August.
- Lentz, Erin C. & Barrett, Christopher B., 2013. "The economics and nutritional impacts of food assistance policies and programs," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 42(C), pages 151-163.
- Horton, Sue & Wesley, Annie & Venkatesh Mannar, M.G., 2011. "Double-fortified salt reduces anemia, benefit:cost ratio is modestly favorable," Food Policy, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 36(5), pages 581-587, October.
- Pambo, Kennedy & Mugivane, Fred, 2014. "Prospects for Biofortification Reducing Micronutrient Deficiency in Kenya: Lessons from Sugar Fortification Programmes," 18th ICABR Conference, June 17-20, 2014, Nairobi, Kenya, International Consortium on Applied Bioeconomy Research (ICABR) 174531, International Consortium on Applied Bioeconomy Research (ICABR).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.