How productive is infrastructure?: new approach and evidence from rural India
AbstractThere have been competing arguments about the effect of public infrastructure on productivity in the literature. Level-based regressions generally show a much higher return to public capital than private capital, while difference-based regressions tend to find insignificant or even negative effects. To help reconcile this debate, this paper proposes that researchers should first test for causality in their data to check for length of lagged relationships and the existence of reverse causality, as a critical step before specifying a final model and estimating procedure on the relationship between the stock of capital and productivity growth. A newly developed system GMM method of estimation is proposed for this purpose. Second, a new method of estimating the relationship between the capital stock and productivity in level form is proposed that controls for possible endogeneity problems arising from reverse causation. These methods are illustrated using a unique set of pooled time-series, cross-section data for India. It is shown that infrastructure development in India is productive with an estimated impact lying between those obtained from level-based and difference-based estimates.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI) in its series EPTD discussion papers with number 84.
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
Public administration India.; Infrastructure (Economics) India. ;
Other versions of this item:
- Xiaobo Zhang & Shenggen Fan, 2004. "How Productive Is Infrastructure? A New Approach and Evidence from Rural India," American Journal of Agricultural Economics, Agricultural and Applied Economics Association, vol. 86(2), pages 492-501.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Frank Place & Keijiro Otsuka, 2000.
"Population Pressure, Land Tenure, and Tree Resource Management in Uganda,"
University of Wisconsin Press, vol. 76(2), pages 233-251.
- Place, Frank & Otsuka, Keijiro, 1997. "Population pressure, land tenure, and tree resource management in Uganda:," EPTD discussion papers 24, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Nottenburg, Carol & Pardey, Philip G. & Wright, Brian D., 2001. "Accessing other people's technology: do non-profit agencies need it? how to obtain it?," EPTD discussion papers 79, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mendes, Sergio Magno & Teixeira, Erly Cardoso & Salvato, Marcio Antonio, 2008.
"Effect of infrastructure investments on total factor productivity (TFP) in Brazilian agriculture,"
Working Papers in Applied Economics
53441, Universidade Federal de Vicosa, Departamento de Economia Rural.
- Mendes, Sergio Magno & Teixeira, Erly Cardoso & Salvato, Marcio Antonio, 2009. "Effect of infrastructure investments on total factor productivity (TFP) in Brazilian agriculture," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 50777, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Majumder, Rajarshi, 2012. "Removing poverty and inequality in India: the role of infrastructure," MPRA Paper 40941, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Linacre, Nicholas & Falck-Zepeda, José & Komen, John & MacLaren, Donald, 2006. "Risk assessment and management of genetically modified organisms under Australia's Gene Technology Act:," EPTD discussion papers 157, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- McNamara, Paul E. & Ulimwengu, John M. & Leonard, Kenneth L., 2010. "Do health investments improve agricultural productivity?," IFPRI discussion papers 1012, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Xiaobing Wang & Adam Ozanne, 2012. "The West's aid dilemma and the Chinese solution?," Brooks World Poverty Institute Working Paper Series 17712, BWPI, The University of Manchester.
- Smale, Melinda & Zambrano, Patricia & Falck-Zepeda, José & Gruère, Guillaume, 2006. "Parables: applied economics literature about the impact of genetically engineered crop varieties in developing economies," EPTD discussion papers 158, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Stephane Straub, 2008.
"Infrastructure and Growth in Developing Countries: Recent Advances and Research Challenges,"
ESE Discussion Papers
179, Edinburgh School of Economics, University of Edinburgh.
- Straub, Stephane, 2008. "Infrastructure and growth in developing countries : recent advances and research challenges," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4460, The World Bank.
- Sawada, Yasuyuki & Shoji, Masahiro & Sugawara, Shinya & Shinkai, Naoko, 2009. "The Role of Infrastructure in Mitigating Poverty Dynamics: The Case of an Irrigation Project in Sri Lanka," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51461, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Yasuyuki Sawada & Masahiro Shoji & Shinya Sugawara & Naoko Shinkai, 2010. "The Role of Infrastructure in Mitigating Poverty Dynamics," Working Papers 4, JICA Research Institute.
- Benin, Samuel & Mogues, Tewodaj & Cudjoe, Godsway & Randriamamonjy, Josee, 2009. "Public expenditures and agricultural productivity growth in Ghana," 2009 Conference, August 16-22, 2009, Beijing, China 51634, International Association of Agricultural Economists.
- Gruère, Guillaume & Giuliani, Alessandra & Smale, Melinda, 2006. "Marketing underutilized plant species for the benefit of the poor: a conceptual framework," EPTD discussion papers 154, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Torrisi, Gianpiero, 2009.
"Infrastructures and economic performance: a critical comparison across four approaches,"
18688, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Gianpiero Torrisi, 2010. "Infrastructures and Economic Performance: A Critical Comparison Across Four Approaches," Theoretical and Practical Research in Economic Fields, ASERS Publishing, vol. 0(1), pages 86-96, June.
- Anthony D. Becker & Rebecca P. Judge, 2012. "Measuring the Effects of Decoupled Payments on Indica Rice Production Under the 1996 and 2002 Farm Bills," Working Papers 201201, St. Olaf College, Department of Economics.
- Falck Zepeda, José & Barreto-Triana, Nancy & Baquero-Haeberlin, Irma & Espitia-Malagón, Eduardo & Fierro-Guzmán, Humberto & López, Nancy, 2006. "An exploration of the potential benefits of integrated pest management systems and the use of insect resistant potatoes to control the Guatemalan Tuber Moth (Tecia solanivora Povolny) in Ventaquemada,," EPTD discussion papers 152, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Renkow, Mitch, 2010. "Impacts of IFPRI's "priorities for pro-poor public investment" global research program:," Impact assessments 31, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fan, Shenggen & Chan-Kang, Connie, 2004.
"Road development, economic growth, and poverty reduction in China,"
DSGD discussion papers
12, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Fan, Shenggen & Chan-Kang, Connie, 2005. "Road development, economic growth, and poverty reduction in China:," Research reports 138, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Di Falco, Salvatore & Chavas, Jean-Paul & Smale, Melinda, 2006. "Farmer management of production risk on degraded lands: the role of wheat genetic diversity in Tigray Region, Ethiopia," EPTD discussion papers 153, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Crawford, Eric W. & Jayne, Thomas S. & Kelly, Valerie A., 2005. "Alternative Approaches for Promoting Fertilizer Use in Africa, with Particular Reference to the Role of Fertilizer Subsidies," Staff Papers 11557, Michigan State University, Department of Agricultural, Food, and Resource Economics.
- Armas, Enrique Blanco & Osorio, Camilo Gomez & Moreno-Dodson, Blanca & Abriningrum, Dwi Endah, 2012. "Agriculture public spending and growth in Indonesia," Policy Research Working Paper Series 5977, The World Bank.
- Badiane, Ousmane & Ulimwengu, John, 2009. "The growth-poverty convergence agenda: Optimizing social expenditures to maximize their impact on agricultural labor productivity, growth, and poverty reduction in Africa," IFPRI discussion papers 906, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Mukherjee, Anit & Zhang, Xiaobo, 2007. "Rural Industrialization in China and India: Role of Policies and Institutions," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 35(10), pages 1621-1634, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.