Analysis of spreads in the Dollar/Euro and Deutsche Mark/Dollar foreign exchange markets
AbstractThis paper tries to provide a simple explanation for the empirical finding, documented here and also by Hau, Killeen and Moore (2002), that spreads in the spot USD/EUR market are substantially higher than those in the preceding DEM/USD foreign exchange market. The paper argues that it is primarily the re-factoring of the exchange rate, 1.75 DEM per USD compared to 1 USD per EUR together with the fact that dealers are faced with a minimum tick size, that has caused spreads to increase (as a percentage of mid-quote).
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Financial Markets Group in its series FMG Discussion Papers with number dp467.
Date of creation: Feb 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.lse.ac.uk/fmg/
Other versions of this item:
- Charles Goodhart & Ryan Love & Richard Payne & Dagfinn Rime, 2002. "Analysis of spreads in the dollar/euro and deutschemark/dollar foreign exchange markets," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 17(35), pages 535-552, October.
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Kaul, Aditya & Sapp, Stephen, 2006. "Y2K fears and safe haven trading of the U.S. dollar," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 25(5), pages 760-779, August.
- Geir Hoidal Bjonnes & Dagfinn Rime, 2003.
"Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets,"
2003/10, Norges Bank.
- Bjonnes, Geir Hoidal & Rime, Dagfinn, 2005. "Dealer behavior and trading systems in foreign exchange markets," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 75(3), pages 571-605, March.
- Hoidal Bjonnes, Geir & Rime, Dagfinn, 2003. "Dealer Behavior and Trading Systems in Foreign Exchange Markets," SIFR Research Report Series 17, Institute for Financial Research.
- Osler, Carol L. & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2011.
"Price discovery in currency markets,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 30(8), pages 1696-1718.
- Osler, Carol & Mende, Alexander & Menkhoff, Lukas, 2006. "Price Discovery in Currency Markets," Diskussionspapiere der Wirtschaftswissenschaftlichen FakultÃ¤t der Leibniz UniversitÃ¤t Hannover dp-351, Leibniz Universität Hannover, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Carol Osler & Alexander Mende & Lukas Menkhoff, 2010. "Price Discovery in Currency Markets," Working Papers 03, Brandeis University, Department of Economics and International Businesss School.
- Ding, Liang & Hiltrop, Jonas, 2010. "The electronic trading systems and bid-ask spreads in the foreign exchange market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 20(4), pages 323-345, October.
- Poskitt, Russell, 2005. "Bid/ask spreads in the foreign exchange market: An alternative interpretation," Pacific-Basin Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 13(5), pages 562-583, November.
- McGroarty, Frank & ap Gwilym, Owain & Thomas, Stephen, 2006. "Microstructure effects, bid-ask spreads and volatility in the spot foreign exchange market pre and post-EMU," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 17(1), pages 23-49, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (The FMG Administration).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.