Executive compensation and risk taking
AbstractThis paper studies the connection between risk taking and executive compensation in financial institutions. A theoretical model of shareholders, debtholders, depositors, and an executive suggests that 1) in principle, excessive risk taking (in the form of risk shifting) may be addressed by basing compensation on both stock price and the price of debt (proxied by the credit default swap spread), but 2) shareholders may be unable to commit to designing compensation contracts in this way and indeed may not want to because of distortions introduced by either deposit insurance or naive debtholders. The paper then provides an empirical analysis that suggests that debt-like compensation for executives is believed by the market to reduce risk for financial institutions.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of New York in its series Staff Reports with number 456.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-07-24 (All new papers)
- NEP-BAN-2010-07-24 (Banking)
- NEP-BEC-2010-07-24 (Business Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Smith, C.W. & Watts, R.L., 1992.
"The Investment Oppotunity set and Corporate Financing, Dividend and Compensation Policies,"
92-02, Rochester, Business - Financial Research and Policy Studies.
- Smith, Clifford Jr. & Watts, Ross L., 1992. "The investment opportunity set and corporate financing, dividend, and compensation policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 263-292, December.
- Ing-Haw Cheng & Harrison Hong & Jose A. Scheinkman, 2010.
"Yesterday's Heroes: Compensation and Creative Risk-Taking,"
NBER Working Papers
16176, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ing-Haw Cheng & Harrison Hong & Jose Scheinkman, 2010. "Yesterday’s Heroes: Compensation and Creative Risk-Taking," NBER Chapters, in: Market Institutions and Financial Market Risk National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Brander, J.A. & Poitevin, M., 1988.
"Managerial Compensation and the Agency Costs of Debt Finance,"
Cahiers de recherche
8827, Universite de Montreal, Departement de sciences economiques.
- Brander, J.A. & Poitevin, M., 1988. "Managerial Compensation And The Agency Costs Of Debt Finance," Cahiers de recherche 8827, Centre interuniversitaire de recherche en économie quantitative, CIREQ.
- Admati, Anat R. & DeMarzo, Peter M. & Hellwig, Martin F. & Pfleiderer, Paul, 2010.
"Fallacies, Irrelevant Facts, and Myths in the Discussion of Capital Regulation: Why Bank Equity Is Not Expensive,"
2065, Stanford University, Graduate School of Business.
- Anat R. Admati & Peter M. DeMarzo & Martin F. Hellwig & Paul Pfleiderer, 2010. "Fallacies, Irrelevant Facts, and Myths in the Discussion of Capital Regulation: Why Bank Equity is Not Expensive," Working Paper Series of the Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods 2010_42, Max Planck Institute for Research on Collective Goods.
- Inderst, Roman & Pfeil, Sebastian, 2010.
"Securitization and Compensation in Financial Institutions,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8089, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roman Inderst & Sebastian Pfeil, 2013. "Securitization and Compensation in Financial Institutions," Review of Finance, European Finance Association, vol. 17(4), pages 1323-1364.
- Nataliya Klimenko, 2013. "Tailoring Bank Capital Regulation for Tail Risk," Working Papers halshs-00796490, HAL.
- Piti Disyatat, 2012. "Discussion of Property Prices and Bank Risk-taking," RBA Annual Conference Volume, in: Alexandra Heath & Frank Packer & Callan Windsor (ed.), Property Markets and Financial Stability Reserve Bank of Australia.
- Helmut Dietl & Martin Grossmann & Markus Lang & Simon Wey, 2010.
"Incentive Effects of Bonus Taxes in a Principal-Agent Model,"
0140, University of Zurich, Institute for Strategy and Business Economics (ISU), revised Feb 2012.
- Dietl, Helmut M. & Grossmann, Martin & Lang, Markus & Wey, Simon, 2013. "Incentive effects of bonus taxes in a principal-agent model," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 89(C), pages 93-104.
- Helmut M. Dietl & Martin Grossmann & Markus Lang & Simon Wey, 2012. "Incentive Effects of Bonus Taxes in a Principal-Agent Model," Working Papers 313, University of Zurich, Department of Business Administration (IBW).
- Raviv, Alon & Sisli-Ciamarra, Elif, 2013. "Executive compensation, risk taking and the state of the economy," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 55-68.
- Hans Bystrom, 2012.
"Executive compensation based on asset values,"
AccessEcon, vol. 32(2), pages 1504-1508.
- Cole, Shawn & Kanz, Martin & Klapper, Leora, 2012.
"Incentivizing calculated risk-taking :evidence from an experiment with commercial bank loan officers,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
6146, The World Bank.
- Shawn Cole & Martin Kanz & Leora Klapper, 2012. "Incentivizing Calculated Risk-Taking: Evidence from an Experiment with Commercial Bank Loan Officers," Harvard Business School Working Papers 13-002, Harvard Business School.
- Shawn Cole & Martin Kanz & Leora Klapper, 2013. "Incentivizing Calculated Risk-Taking: Evidence from an Experiment with Commercial Bank Loan Officers," NBER Working Papers 19472, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Eufinger, Christian & Gill, Andrej, 2012. "Basel III and CEO compensation: a new regulation attempt after the crisis," Annual Conference 2012 (Goettingen): New Approaches and Challenges for the Labor Market of the 21st Century 62056, Verein für Socialpolitik / German Economic Association.
- John Thanassoulis, 2011. "The Case For Intervening In Bankers' Pay," Economics Series Working Papers 532, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Timothy Besley & Maitreesh Ghatak, 2011.
"Taxation and Regulation of Bonus Pay,"
STICERD - Economic Organisation and Public Policy Discussion Papers Series
030, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Chaigneau, Pierre, 2013. "Risk-shifting and the regulation of bank CEOs’ compensation," Journal of Financial Stability, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 778-789.
- Cassell, Cory A. & Huang, Shawn X. & Manuel Sanchez, Juan & Stuart, Michael D., 2012. "Seeking safety: The relation between CEO inside debt holdings and the riskiness of firm investment and financial policies," Journal of Financial Economics, Elsevier, vol. 103(3), pages 588-610.
- Nataliya Klimenko, 2013. "Tailoring Bank Capital Regulation for Tail Risk," AMSE Working Papers 1310, Aix-Marseille School of Economics, Marseille, France, revised Feb 2013.
- Arantxa Jarque & Edward S. Prescott, 2013. "Banker compensation and bank risk taking: the organizational economics view," Working Paper 13-03, Federal Reserve Bank of Richmond.
- Executive compensation in Wikipedia (English)
- Executive compensation in the United States in Wikipedia (English)
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Amy Farber).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.