Markov-chain approximations of vector autoregressions: application of general multivariate-normal integration techniques
AbstractDiscrete Markov chains can be useful to approximate vector autoregressive processes for economists doing computational work. One such approximation method first presented by Tauchen (1986) operates under the general theoretical assumption of a transformed VAR with diagonal covariance structure for the process error term. We demonstrate one simple method of more conveniently treating this approximation problem in practice using readily available multivariate-normal integration techniques to allow for arbitrary positive-semidefinite covariance structures. Examples are provided using processes with non-diagonal and singular non-diagonal error covariances.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City in its series Research Working Paper with number RWP 08-02.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Terry, Stephen J. & Knotek II, Edward S., 2011. "Markov-chain approximations of vector autoregressions: Application of general multivariate-normal integration techniques," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 110(1), pages 4-6, January.
- NEP-ALL-2008-11-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-11-04 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-11-04 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2008-11-04 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Tauchen, George & Hussey, Robert, 1991. "Quadrature-Based Methods for Obtaining Approximate Solutions to Nonlinear Asset Pricing Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(2), pages 371-96, March.
- Tauchen, George, 1986. "Finite state markov-chain approximations to univariate and vector autoregressions," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 20(2), pages 177-181.
- Juan Carlos Hatchondo & Leonardo Martinez & Juan M. Sánchez, 2011.
2011-019, Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis.
- Galindev, Ragchaasuren & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2010.
"Discretization of highly persistent correlated AR(1) shocks,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(7), pages 1260-1276, July.
- Lkhagvasuren, Damba & Galindev, Ragchaasuren, 2008. "Discretization of highly persistent correlated AR(1) shocks," MPRA Paper 22523, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damba Lkhagvasuren & Ragchaasuren Galindev, 2008. "Discretization of Highly-Persistent Correlated AR(1) Shocks," Working Papers 08012, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised Nov 2008.
- Gianni De NicolÃ³ & Andrea Gamba & Marcella Lucchetta, 2012.
"Capital Regulation, Liquidity Requirements and Taxation in a Dynamic Model of Banking,"
IMF Working Papers
12/72, International Monetary Fund.
- De Nicolò, Gianni & Gamba, Andrea & Luccetta, Marcella, 2012. "Capital regulation, liquidity requirements and taxation in a dynamic model of banking," Discussion Papers 10/2012, Deutsche Bundesbank, Research Centre.
- Di Nicolo, G. & Gamba, A. & Lucchetta, M., 2011. "Capital Regulation, Liquidity Requirements and Taxation in a Dynamic Model of Banking," Discussion Paper 2011-090, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Edward S. Knotek II & Stephen Terry, 2008. "Alternative methods of solving state-dependent pricing models," Research Working Paper RWP 08-10, Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Damba Lkhagvasuren, 2013.
"A moment-matching method for approximating vector autoregressive processes by finite-state Markov chains,"
2013-05, Federal Reserve Bank of Atlanta.
- Nikolay Gospodinov & Damba Lkhagvasuren, 2011. "A Moment-Matching Method for Approximating Vector Autoregressive Processes by Finite-State Markov Chains," Working Papers 11005, Concordia University, Department of Economics, revised 16 Dec 2011.
- Pedro Gete and Paolo Porchia, 2011. "Fertility and Consumption when Having a Child is a Risky Investment," Working Papers gueconwpa~11-11-03, Georgetown University, Department of Economics.
- Gospodinov, Nikolay & Lkhagvasuren, Damba, 2011. "A new method for approximating vector autoregressive processes by finite-state Markov chains," MPRA Paper 33827, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lu Dayrit).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.