Flow and stock effects of large-scale Treasury purchases
AbstractUsing a panel of daily CUSIP-level data, we study the effects of the Federal Reserve's program to purchase $300 billion of U.S. Treasury coupon securities announced and implemented during 2009. This program represented an unprecedented intervention in the Treasury market and thus allows us to shed light on the price elasticities and substitutability of Treasuries, preferred-habitat theories of the term structure, and the ability of large-scale asset purchases to reduce overall yields and improve market functioning. We find that each purchase operation, on average, caused a decline in yields in the sector purchased of 3.5 basis points on the days when these purchases occurred (the "flow effect" of the program). In addition, the program as a whole resulted in a persistent downward shift in the yield curve of as much as 50 basis points (the "stock effect"), with the largest impact in the 10- to 15-year sector. The coefficient patterns generally support a view of segmentation or imperfect substitution within the Treasury market.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Board of Governors of the Federal Reserve System (U.S.) in its series Finance and Economics Discussion Series with number 2010-52.
Date of creation: 2010
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-30 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Joseph Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian Sack, 2010.
"Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?,"
441, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Joseph Gagnon & Matthew Raskin & Julie Remache & Brian Sack, 2011. "Large-scale asset purchases by the Federal Reserve: did they work?," Economic Policy Review, Federal Reserve Bank of New York, issue May, pages 41-59.
- Jonathan D. Ostry & Atish R. Ghosh & Marcos Chamon, 2012. "Dos objetivos, dos instrumentos: políticas monetaria y cambiaria en economías de mercados emergentes," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 94-114, Abril-jun.
- Martin, C. & Milas, C., 2012.
"Quantitative Easing : a Sceptical Survey,"
Department of Economics Working Papers
32987, University of Bath, Department of Economics.
- Chadha, Jagjit S. & Waters, Alex, 2014. "Applying a macro-finance yield curve to UK quantitative Easing," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 39(C), pages 68-86.
- Abbassi, Puriya & Linzert, Tobias, 2012. "The effectiveness of monetary policy in steering money market rates during the financial crisis," Journal of Macroeconomics, Elsevier, vol. 34(4), pages 945-954.
- Hess Chung & Jean-Philippe Laforte & David Reifschneider & John C. Williams, 2011. "Estimating the macroeconomic effects of the Fed’s asset purchases," FRBSF Economic Letter, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue jan31.
- Nelson, Edward, 2013.
"Friedman's monetary economics in practice,"
Journal of International Money and Finance,
Elsevier, vol. 38(C), pages 59-83.
- Ghysels, Eric & Idier, Julien & Manganelli, Simone & Vergote, Olivier, 2014.
"A high frequency assessment of the ECB securities markets programme,"
Working Paper Series
1642, European Central Bank.
- Ghysels, Eric & Idier, Julien & Manganelli, Simone & Vergote, Olivier, 2013. "A high frequency assessment of the ECB Securities Markets Programme," CEPR Discussion Papers 9778, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Gürkaynak, Refet S. & Wright, Jonathan, 2010.
"Macroeconomics and the Term Structure,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
8018, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Mark Carney, 2012. "Un marco de política monetaria para todas las estaciones," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 69-77, Abril-jun.
- Saghaian, Sayed H. & Reed, Michael R., 2. "The Impact Of The Recent Federal Reserve Large-Scale Asset Purchases On The Agricultural Commodity Prices: A Historical Decomposition," International Journal of Food and Agricultural Economics (IJFAEC), Niğde University, Faculty of Economics and Administrative Sciences, vol. 2(2).
- Carlos Carvalho & Stefano Eusepi & Christian Grisser, 2012. "Iniciativas de política durante la recesión global. ¿Cuáles eran las expectativas de los analistas?," Boletín, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Latinoamericanos, vol. 0(2), pages 78-93, Abril-jun.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kris Vajs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.