Japanese management views on overseas exchange listings: survey results
AbstractPrevious empirical studies cast a doubt on a positive effect of overseas listings on stockholders' wealth. We should investigate reasons for the steady growth of overseas listings other than the stockholders' wealth maximization. However, we have little information about management views on overseas listings except regarding U.S. firms. In this paper, we used a mail questionnaire to obtain information on overseas listing decisions of Japanese companies. As our survey shows, Japanese managers regard the disclosure and financial reporting requirements as the primary obstacles to overseas listings. This is why many Japanese companies do not list their stocks on overseas stock exchange in spite of the fact that they acknowledge the beneficial effects of overseas listings.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco in its series Pacific Basin Working Paper Series with number 99-05.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 101 Market Street, MS 1130, San Francisco, CA 94105-1579
Phone: (415) 974-3184
Fax: (415) 974-2168
Web page: http://www.frbsf.org/economics/pbc/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Yamori, N. & Baba, T., T., 1999. "Japanese Management Views on Overseas Exchange Listings: Survey Results," Papers pb99-05, Economisch Institut voor het Midden en Kleinbedrijf-.
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- G15 - Financial Economics - - General Financial Markets - - - International Financial Markets
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stephen R Foerster & G Andrew Karolyi, 1993. "International Listings of Stocks: The Case of Canada and the U.S," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 24(4), pages 763-784, December.
- Shahrokh M Saudagaran, 1988. "An Empirical Study of Selected Factors Influencing the Decision to List on Foreign Stock Exchanges," Journal of International Business Studies, Palgrave Macmillan, vol. 19(1), pages 101-127, March.
- Alexander, Gordon J & Eun, Cheol S & Janakiramanan, S, 1987. " Asset Pricing and Dual Listing on Foreign Capital Markets: A Note," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 42(1), pages 151-58, March.
- Khan, Walayet A, et al, 1993. "Dual Domestic Listing, Market Structure and Shareholder Wealth," The Financial Review, Eastern Finance Association, vol. 28(3), pages 371-83, August.
- Lau, Sie Ting & Diltz, J. David & Apilado, Vincent P., 1994. "Valuation effects of international stock exchange listings," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 18(4), pages 743-755, September.
- Abdallah, Wissam & Goergen, Marc, 2008. "Does corporate control determine the cross-listing location?," Journal of Corporate Finance, Elsevier, vol. 14(3), pages 183-199, June.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2004.
"Determinants of Voluntary Bank Disclosure: Evidence from Japanese Shinkin Banks,"
CESifo Working Paper Series
1135, CESifo Group Munich.
- Mark M. Spiegel & Nobuyoshi Yamori, 2003. "Determinants of voluntary bank disclosure: evidence from Japanese Shinkin banks," Pacific Basin Working Paper Series 03-03, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco.
- Clark, Ephraim & Lakshmi, Geeta, 2007. "Assymetric information and the pricing of sovereign eurobonds: India 1990-1992," Global Finance Journal, Elsevier, vol. 18(1), pages 124-142.
- Yamori, Nobuyoshi, 1998. "Does international trading of stocks decrease pricing errors? Evidence from Japan," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 8(3-4), pages 413-432, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Diane Rosenberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.