Business cycles under monetary union: EU and US business cycles compared
AbstractIn discussions of the likely implications for Europe of EMU, the United States is often cited as an example of a monetary union, while the United States' central bank, the Federal Reserve System, is cited as a model for how a central bank would function in a monetary union. While the costs and benefits of monetary union in Europe have been subject to a lot of debate, the authors focus on a potential set of costs and benefits that seem to have received relatively little attention in the existing literature. Specifically, they ask what are the likely benefits to Europe in terms of business cycle stabilization or synchronization from monetary union. The authors compare the business cycle properties of the fifteen EU countries that are potentially eligible for membership in EMU with the properties of the 12 Federal Reserve districts in the U.S.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas in its series Working Papers with number 97-07.
Date of creation: 1997
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Thomas J. Sargent & Francois R. Velde, 1990. "The analytics of German monetary unification," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Fall, pages 33-50.
- Assar Lindbeck, 1996.
"The West European employment problem,"
Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv),
Springer, vol. 132(4), pages 609-637, December.
- Cooley, T.F. & Ohanian, L.E., 1989.
"The Cyclical Behavior Of Prices,"
RCER Working Papers
188, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Gerald Carlino & Keith Sill, 1997. "Regional economies: separating trends from cycles," Business Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia, issue May, pages 19-31.
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1994.
"Stylized facts of business cycles in the G7 from a real business cycles perspective,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 235-269, February.
- Fiorito, Riccardo & Kollintzas, Tryphon, 1992. "Stylized Facts of Business Cycles in the G7 from a Real Business Cycles Perspective," CEPR Discussion Papers 681, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Carolyn Sherwood-Call, 1988. "Exploring the relationships between national and regional economic fluctuations," Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Sum, pages 15-25.
- Neil Wallace, 1979. "Why markets in foreign exchange are different from other markets," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Fall.
- Danthine, J.P. & Donaldson, J.B., 1991.
"Methodological and Empirical Issues in Real Business Cycle Theory,"
fb-_91-11, Columbia - Graduate School of Business.
- Pierre Danthine, Jean & Donaldson, John B., 1993. "Methodological and empirical issues in real business cycle theory," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 37(1), pages 1-35, January.
- Jean-Pierre DANTHINE & John B. DONALDSON, 1991. "Methodological and Empirical Issues in Real Business Cycle Theory," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9102, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Arthur F. Burns & Wesley C. Mitchell, 1946. "Measuring Business Cycles," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number burn46-1.
- repec:fth:iniesr:466 is not listed on IDEAS
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1999.
"Measuring Business Cycles: Approximate Band-Pass Filters For Economic Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 81(4), pages 575-593, November.
- Marianne Baxter & Robert G. King, 1995. "Measuring Business Cycles Approximate Band-Pass Filters for Economic Time Series," NBER Working Papers 5022, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Tom Doan, . "BKFILTER: RATS procedure to implement band pass filter using Baxter-King method," Statistical Software Components RTS00026, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Hansen, Lars Peter, 1982. "Large Sample Properties of Generalized Method of Moments Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 50(4), pages 1029-54, July.
- Lynn E. Browne, 1992. "Why New England went the way of Texas rather than California," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue Jan, pages 23-41.
- Geoffrey M.B. Tootell, 1990. "Central bank flexibility and the drawbacks to currency unification," New England Economic Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Boston, issue May, pages 3-18.
- BARRIOS, Salvador & de LUCIO, Juan José, 2002.
"Economic integration and regional business cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions,"
CORE Discussion Papers
2002073, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Salvador Barrios & Juan Jose Lucio, 2003. "Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian Regions," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 65(4), pages 497-515, 09.
- Maravall, A. & del Rio, A., 2007.
"Temporal aggregation, systematic sampling, and the Hodrick-Prescott filter,"
Computational Statistics & Data Analysis,
Elsevier, vol. 52(2), pages 975-998, October.
- Agustín Maravall & Ana del Río, 2007. "Temporal aggregation, systematic sampling, and the Hodrick-Prescott filter," Banco de Espaï¿½a Working Papers 0728, Banco de Espa�a.
- Döpke, Jörg, 1998. "Stylized facts of Euroland's business cycle," Kiel Working Papers 887, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
- Davide Furceri, 2002. "Risk-sharing e architettura istituzionale delle politiche di stabilizzazione nell'UME: aspetti metodologici e verifica empirica," Rivista di Politica Economica, SIPI Spa, vol. 92(6), pages 175-210, November-.
- Salvador Barrios & Juan José de Lucio, . "Economic Integration and Regional Business Cycles: Evidence from the Iberian regions," Working Papers 2001-17, FEDEA.
- Eva Ortega, . "The Spanish business cycle and its relationship to Europe," Studies on the Spanish Economy 09, FEDEA.
- Roberto Iannaccone & Edoardo Otranto, 2003. "Signal Extraction in Continuous Time and the Generalized Hodrick- Prescott Filter," Econometrics 0311002, EconWPA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Delia Rodriguez).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.