Why markets in foreign exchange are different from other markets
AbstractThis paper, originally published in the fall 1979 Quarterly Review, explains why unfettered markets cannot determine a price at which the currency of one country exchanges for that of another. In effect, any price will work--something which is not true in other markets. The paper then argues that the only feasible regimes for these special markets are floating exchange rates with capital controls or fixed exchange rates with monetary and budget policy coordination. ; Originally published in Quarterly Review, Fall 1979.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis in its journal Quarterly Review.
Volume (Year): (1990)
Issue (Month): Win ()
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John H. Kareken & Neil Wallace, 1978. "International monetary reform: the feasible alternatives," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum.
- Kareken, John & Wallace, Neil, 1977. "Portfolio autarky: A welfare analysis," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(1), pages 19-43, February.
- anonymous, 1978. "Does the sinking U.S. dollar mean the float isn't working?," Quarterly Review, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, issue Sum.
- Gale, David, 1971. "General equilibrium with imbalance of trade," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 1(2), pages 141-158, May.
- Sangdai Ryoo, 2002. "Testing for Sunspot in the Foreign Exchange Market," International Economic Journal, Korean International Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 39-58.
- S. Elwood & Ehsan Ahmed & J. Rosser, 1999. "State-space estimation of rational bubbles in the Yen/Deutsche Mark exchange rate," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 135(2), pages 317-331, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Janelle Ruswick).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.