Changes in the Distribution of Economic Wellbeing in Finland
AbstractThis research study consists of four self-contained essays on 1. intra-household inequality, 2. the value of household production and consumption possibilities, 3. the income inequality effects of A Finnish Work Incentive Trap Reform and 4. the children's wellbeing. All the essays focus on changes in the distribution of economic wellbeing in Finland during the past decades. More precisely, they concentrate on the development of income inequality and poverty and those many factors that cause changes in income distribution within and between households. The essays also include the era of strong economic and structural turns in Finland, the 1990s. This is the period during which Finland experienced a severe depression, drastic cuts in social security, a time of recovery, and fast growing income inequality. We have a lot to learn from all the reforms and amendments made during that time and the effects that all the changes that were made had on economic wellbeing.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Research Reports with number 128.
Date of creation: 19 Dec 2006
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-01-28 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pagan, Adrian & Vella, Frank, 1989. "Diagnostic Tests for Models Based on Individual Data: A Survey," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 4(S), pages S29-59, Supplemen.
- Klevmarken, N. Anders & Stafford, Frank P., 1997. "Time Diary Measures of Investment in Young Children," Working Paper Series 1997:8, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- Gary S. Becker & Nigel Tomes, .
"Human Capital and the Rise and Fall of Families,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
84-10, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Becker, Gary S & Tomes, Nigel, 1986. "Human Capital and the Rise and Fall of Families," Journal of Labor Economics, University of Chicago Press, vol. 4(3), pages S1-39, July.
- Gary S. Becker & Nigel Tomes, 1994. "Human Capital and the Rise and Fall of Families," NBER Chapters, in: Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis with Special Reference to Education (3rd Edition), pages 257-298 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Ruuskanen, Olli-Pekka, . "An Econometric Analysis of Time Use in Finnish Households," ETLA A, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy, number 41.
- Zimmerman, David J, 1992. "Regression toward Mediocrity in Economic Stature," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 409-29, June.
- Leibowitz, Arleen, 1974. "Home Investments in Children," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 82(2), pages S111-S131, Part II, .
- Robert Erikson & John H. Goldthorpe, 2002. "Intergenerational Inequality: A Sociological Perspective," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 16(3), pages 31-44, Summer.
- Anders Björklund, 2006. "Does family policy affect fertility?," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 19(1), pages 3-24, February.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn & Kjulin, Urban, 1994. "Time Use in Child Care and Housework and the Total Cost of Children," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 7(3), pages 287-306, July.
- Markus Jäntti & Eva Österbacka & Oddbjörn Raaum & Tor Eriksson & Anders Björklund, 2002.
"Brother correlations in earnings in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden compared to the United States,"
Journal of Population Economics,
Springer, vol. 15(4), pages 757-772.
- Björklund, Anders & Eriksson, Tor & Jäntti, Markus & Raaum, Oddbjørn & Österbacka, Eva, 2000. "Brother Correlations in Earnings in Denmark, Finland, Norway and Sweden Compared to the United States," IZA Discussion Papers 158, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Solon, Gary, 1992. "Intergenerational Income Mobility in the United States," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 82(3), pages 393-408, June.
- Bruce Bradbury, 2004. "Using Time-Use Data to Estimate the Full Costs of Children," Labor and Demography 0411002, EconWPA.
- Osterbacka, Eva, 2001. " Family Background and Economic Status in Finland," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 103(3), pages 467-84, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.