Using Time-Use Data to Estimate the Full Costs of Children
AbstractThis paper uses the 'adult goods' method to estimate the full costs of children. Full costs include both expenditure and time costs. Adult personal time (comprising pure leisure, sleep and other personal care) is used as the adult good. Previous research has shown that the presence of children in the household leads to a reduction in adult personal time. This paper develops a simple household economic model to show how this information can be used to develop an equivalence scale for adult consumption which takes account of both the expenditure and time costs of children. Preliminary estimates using Australian data suggest a very large cost. A couple with two children (one of which is in pre-school) require an income around 2.7 times as large as a couple with no children in order for the adults to have the same consumption level. The full cost of children appears to decline with age (despite the expenditure cost rising). The paper discusses the limitations of the adult good method and considers the broader welfare implications of these costs while taking into account the benefits that parents obtain from parenthood.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by EconWPA in its series Labor and Demography with number 0411002.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 05 Nov 2004
Date of revision:
Note: Type of Document - pdf; pages: 21
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://22.214.171.124
consumer equivalence scales; cost of children; time-use; adult goods;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J - Labor and Demographic Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2004-11-22 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Päivi Mattila-Wiro, 2006. "Changes in the Distribution of Economic Wellbeing in Finland," Research Reports 128, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Alex Sienaert, 2008. "Some Child Cost Estimates for South Africa," Economics Series Working Papers WPS/2008-15, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Alex Sienaert, 2008. "Some Child Cost Estimates for South Africa," CSAE Working Paper Series 2008-15, Centre for the Study of African Economies, University of Oxford.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (EconWPA).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.