Navigating through the Finnish Pension System
AbstractThe paper constructs a competing risks duration model, explaining the probability of retirement due to old-age, ill health or long-term unemployment. It also attempts to measure the degree of substitution between the various retirement channels, among other things, by using data on pension application rejections. The effect of the economic incentives was tested in a number of alternative specifications. In addition to simple replacement ratio, life-cycle incentives were calculated for each exit channel separately. Both the grace period compensations (unemployment benefits and sick allowances) and the actual pension benefits were considered. The paper concludes that the baseline hazards as well as the effects of a number of explanatory variables differ signficantly between the distinct retirement channels. It also finds some evidence on the channel substitutability between different retirement channels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT) in its series Discussion Papers with number 224.
Date of creation: 06 Jul 2000
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- J26 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Retirement; Retirement Policies
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
- J14 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demographic Economics - - - Economics of the Elderly; Economics of the Handicapped; Non-Labor Market Discrimination
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- McCall, B.P., 1993.
"Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-Time Work,"
93-07, Minnesota - Industrial Relations Center.
- McCall, Brian P, 1996. "Unemployment Insurance Rules, Joblessness, and Part-Time Work," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 64(3), pages 647-82, May.
- Jensen, P. & Nielsen, M.S. & Rosholm, M., 1999. "The Effects of Benefits, Incentives, and Sanctions on Youth Employment," Papers 99-05, Centre for Labour Market and Social Research, Danmark-.
- Regina Riphahn, 1997. "Disability retirement and unemployment - substitute pathways for labour force exit? An empirical test for the case of Germany," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 29(5), pages 551-561.
- Florens, J.-P. & Fougère, D. & Mouchart, M., .
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1213, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Roope Uusitalo, 1999.
205, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Kiefer, Nicholas M, 1988. "Economic Duration Data and Hazard Functions," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 26(2), pages 646-79, June.
- Stepan Jurajda & Frederick J. Tannery, 2001.
"Unemployment Durations and Extended Unemployment Benefits in Local Labor Markets,"
Labor and Demography
- Stepan Jurajda & Frederick J. Tannery, 2003. "Unemployment durations and extended unemployment benefits in local labor markets," Industrial and Labor Relations Review, ILR Review, Cornell University, ILR School, vol. 56(2), pages 324-348, January.
- Dahl, S.-A., Nilsen, O.A. & Vaage, K., 2000.
"Work or Retirement? Exit Routes for Norwegian Elderly,"
Norway; Department of Economics, University of Bergen
213, Department of Economics, University of Bergen.
- Svenn-Age Dahl & Oivind Anti Nilsen & Kjell Vaage, 2000. "Work or retirement? Exit routes for Norwegian elderly," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 32(14), pages 1865-1876.
- Dahl, Svenn-Åge & Nilsen, Øivind Anti & Vaage, Kjell, 1999. "Work or Retirement? Exit Routes for Norwegian Elderly," IZA Discussion Papers 32, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Tomi Kyyrä, 1999. "Post-Unemployment Wages and Economic Incentives to Exit from Unemployment," Research Reports 56, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Heckman, James J. & Singer, Burton, 1984. "Econometric duration analysis," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 24(1-2), pages 63-132.
- Tuulia Hakola, 2002. "Economic Incentives and Labour Market Transitions of the Aged Finnish Workforce," Research Reports 89, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Deschryvere, Matthias, 2004. "Labour Force Behavior of Elderly Two Adult Households: Evidence from EU-countries," Discussion Papers 933, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Anita Niskanen).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.