Paths to Stability in Two-sided Matching with Uncertainty
AbstractWe consider one-to-one matching problems under two modalities of uncertainty that differ in the way types are assigned to agents. Individuals have preferences over the possible types of the agents from the opposite market side and initially know the “name” but not the ”type” of the other players. Learning occurs via matching and using Bayes’ rule. We introduce the notion of a stable and consistent outcome, and show how the interaction between blocking and learning behavior shapes the existence of paths to stability in each of the uncertainty environments. Existence of stable and consistent outcomes then follows as a side result.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fondazione Eni Enrico Mattei in its series Working Papers with number 2013.02.
Date of creation: Jan 2013
Date of revision:
Consistent Outcomes; One-to-One Uncertainty; Many-to-One Uncertainty; Paths to Stability; Two-Sided Matching;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C62 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Existence and Stability Conditions of Equilibrium
- C78 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Bargaining Theory; Matching Theory
- D71 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - Social Choice; Clubs; Committees; Associations
- D83 - Microeconomics - - Information, Knowledge, and Uncertainty - - - Search, Learning, and Information
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bo Chen & Satoru Fujishige & Zaifu Yang, 2010.
"Decentralized Market Processes to Stable Job Matchings with Competitive Salaries,"
KIER Working Papers
749, Kyoto University, Institute of Economic Research.
- Bo Chen & Satoru Fujishige & Zaifu Yang, 2011. "Decentralized Market Processes to Stable Job Matchings with Competitive Salaries," Discussion Papers 11/03, Department of Economics, University of York.
- Diamantoudi, Effrosyni & Miyagawa, Eiichi & Xue, Licun, 2004.
"Random paths to stability in the roommate problem,"
Games and Economic Behavior,
Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 18-28, July.
- Roth, Alvin E & Vande Vate, John H, 1990. "Random Paths to Stability in Two-Sided Matching," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 58(6), pages 1475-80, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (barbara racah).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.