Income mobility in Spain: How much is there
AbstractTraditional cross-sectional research is unable to measure the degree of income mobility in an income distribution. Using longitudinal data and various income stability indices, this paper measures the level of permanent inequality (immobility) in Spain for the period 1985-92. Results indicate that the transitory component of inequality is large and the level of income mobility increases over time while income inequality decreases slightly. More stability is found at the top than at the bottom of the income distribution and the range of the registered movements is rather short. Copyright 2000 by The International Association for Research in Income and Wealth.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Studies on the Spanish Economy with number 17.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
Other versions of this item:
- NEP-ALL-1999-09-01 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-1999-09-17 (European Economics)
- NEP-ENV-1999-09-01 (Environmental Economics)
- NEP-LAB-1999-09-01 (Labour Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard V. Burkhauser & John G. Poupore, 1997. "A Cross-National Comparison Of Permanent Inequality In The United States And Germany," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(1), pages 10-17, February.
- Shorrocks, Anthony, 1978. "Income inequality and income mobility," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 19(2), pages 376-393, December.
- Shorrocks, A F, 1978. "The Measurement of Mobility," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 1013-24, September.
- Lillard, Lee A & Willis, Robert J, 1978.
"Dynamic Aspects of Earning Mobility,"
Econometric Society, vol. 46(5), pages 985-1012, September.
- Rolf Aaberge & Anders Björklund & Markus Jäntti & Mårten Palme & Peder J. Pedersen & Nina Smith & Tom Wennemo, 1996.
"Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States,"
168, Research Department of Statistics Norway.
- Aaberge, Rolf, et al, 2002. "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 48(4), pages 443-69, December.
- Aaberge, Rolf & Björklund, Anders & Jäntti, Markus & Palme, Mårten & Pedersen, Peder & Smith, Nina & Wennemo, Tom, 1996. "Income Inequality and Income Mobility in the Scandinavian Countries Compared to the United States," Working Paper Series in Economics and Finance 98, Stockholm School of Economics, revised Aug 2002.
- Gustafsson, Bjorn, 1994. "The Degree and Pattern of Income Immobility in Sweden," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 40(1), pages 67-86, March.
- Arulampalam, W. & Robin A. Naylor & Jeremy P. Smith, 2002. "University of Warwick," Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2002 9, Royal Economic Society.
- repec:ese:iserwp:96-19 is not listed on IDEAS
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1996. "Recent Trends in the UK Income Distribution: What Happened and Why?," Oxford Review of Economic Policy, Oxford University Press, vol. 12(1), pages 29-46, Spring.
- John Bibby, 1975. "Methods of measuring mobility," Quality & Quantity: International Journal of Methodology, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 107-136, June.
- Andrew M. Jones & Angel López Nicolás, 2004.
"Measurement and explanation of socioeconomic inequality in health with longitudinal data,"
John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 13(10), pages 1015-1030.
- Andrew M. Jones & Ángel López, 2003. "Measurement and explanation of socioeconomic inequality in health with longitudinal data," Economics Working Papers 711, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Andrew M. Jones & Ángel López, 2003. "Measurement and explanation of socioeconomic inequality in health with longitudinal data," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 711, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Andrew M. Jones & Angel López, 2003. "Measurement and Explanation of Socioeconomic Inequality in Health with Longitudinal Data," Working Papers 35, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Ayala, L. & Sastre, M., 2002.
"Europe vs. The United States: Is There a Trade-Off Between Mobility and Inequality?,"
European Economy Group Working Papers
19, European Economy Group.
- Jesus Perez-Mayo, 2005. "Identifying deprivation profiles in Spain: a new approach," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(8), pages 943-955.
- Kuhl, Karol, 2003. "Income mobility, unemployment and GDP," IRISS Working Paper Series 2003-01, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD, revised Oct 2003.
- Van Kerm, Philippe, 2002. "On the magnitude of income mobility in Germany," IRISS Working Paper Series 2002-03, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Pérez-Mayo, Jesús, 2004. "Consistent poverty dynamics in Spain," IRISS Working Paper Series 2004-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Ronald Bachmann & Peggy Bechara & Sandra Schaffner, 2012. "Wage Inequality and Wage Mobility in Europe," Ruhr Economic Papers 0386, Rheinisch-Westfälisches Institut für Wirtschaftsforschung, Ruhr-Universität Bochum, Universität Dortmund, Universität Duisburg-Essen.
- Antonio Cutanda, 2002. "La medición de la desigualdad a través de un modelo de elección intertemporal," Hacienda Pública Española, IEF, vol. 163(4), pages 93-117, December.
- Ingrid Woolard & Stephan Klasen, 2005.
"Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa,"
The Journal of Development Studies,
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 41(5), pages 865-897.
- Woolard, Ingrid & Klasen, Stephan, 2004. "Determinants of Income Mobility and Household Poverty Dynamics in South Africa," IZA Discussion Papers 1030, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Perez-Mayo, Jesus, 2003. "Measuring deprivation in Spain," IRISS Working Paper Series 2003-09, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Nicholas Rohde & Kam Ki Tang & Prasada Rao, 2011. "Income volatility and insecurity in the U.S., Germany and Britain," Discussion Papers Series 434, School of Economics, University of Queensland, Australia.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.