Movilidad de ingreso y trampas de pobreza : nueva evidencia para los países del Cono Sur
AbstractThis paper tests the existence of poverty traps in three Southern Cone countries: Argentina, Brazil and Uruguay. We apply the methodology developed by Antman and McKenzie (2005): based on pseudopanels, we model the income dynamics of households and analyze the existence of heterogeneity in their path and their reactions to recessions. We also focus in income trajectories for different educational levels, and estimate the rate at which households overcome poverty situations or return to their equilibrium income level after a shock. The record of high volatility and strong macroeconomic crisis shared by Argentina, Uruguay and to a lesser extent Brazil, are an opportunity to carry out this type of analysis, which in turn is justified as a contribution to the design of public policies. This papers aims at identifying situations where the future trajectory of households’ income will be systematically below a certain threshold, as a result of past performance. General estimates do not confirm the presence of poverty traps in these three countries during the study period. However, when educational levels are taken into account, poverty traps are found in the cases of Brazil and Uruguay for households whose head belongs to low educational levels.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Instituto de Economia - IECON in its series Documentos de Trabajo (working papers) with number 10-06.
Length: 35 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2010
Date of revision:
poverty tramps; income mobility; Uruguay; Argentina; Brazil;
Other versions of this item:
- Rodrigo Arim & Matías Brum & Andrés Dean & Martín Leites & Gonzalo Salas, 2013. "Movilidad de ingreso y trampas de pobreza: nueva evidencia para los países del Cono sur," Estudios Económicos, El Colegio de México, Centro de Estudios Económicos, vol. 28(1), pages 3-38.
- O12 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Microeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-06-25 (All new papers)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Matias Cadepont).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.