Exclusive Content and the Next Generation Networks
AbstractThis paper analyzes the interaction between the market of premium contents and the next generation network industry. We assume structural separation between the network and service operators (platforms) and the comparative advantage of the service operators depends on the access to premium contents. On one side, we analyze the impact of the exclusivity of premium contents over the incentives to deploy NGNs, the performance of the operators market, and welfare. On the other side, we analyze what are the incentives of the providers of premium contents to offer exclusivity contracts (to singlehome) in NGNs settings in which they can also sell directly to consumers. In this context, we show that exclusivity only occurs when the content is not highly valued by consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by FEDEA in its series Working Papers with number 2010-21.
Date of creation: Aug 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.fedea.net
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2010-10-09 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-NET-2010-10-09 (Network Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bijl, P.W.J. de & Peitz, M., 2007. "Innovation, Convergence and the Role of Regulation in the Netherlands," Discussion Paper 2007-016, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Ramon Casadesus-Masanell & Barry Nalebuff & David B. Yoffie, 2007. "Competing Complements," Working Papers 07-44, NET Institute, revised Nov 2007.
- Paul de Bijl & M. Peitz, 2008.
"Innovation, convergence and the role of regulation in the Netherlands and beyond,"
CPB Discussion Paper
108, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- de Bijl, Paul & Peitz, Martin, 2008. "Innovation, convergence and the role of regulation in the Netherlands and beyond," Telecommunications Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(11), pages 744-754, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Carmen Arias).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.