Designing Contracts for University Spin-offs
AbstractWe provide a theoretical model for designing academic spin-off contracts between the university Technology Transfer Office (TTO), the researcher and the venture capitalist. The optimal contract entails the allocation of founder shares to the researcher to secure her participation in the venture, and it may also require the researcher to be financially involved in the project to give her incentives to provide effort. We prove that, when this happens, there may be overinvestment in the spin-off. Finally, we show that when the TTO has more accurate information than the other two participants concerning the likelihood of success of the spin-off, the TTO will signal profitable projects by taking financial stakes. Hence, theTTO will end up owning both founder and financial shares in the venture.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation in its series Working Papers with number 201071.
Date of creation: Apr 2007
Date of revision:
Spin-offs; design of contracts; innovation; universities.;
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Macho-Stadler, InÃ©s & PÃ©rez-Castrillo, David, 2010.
"Incentives in university technology transfers,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 362-367, July.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 2009. "Incentives in University Technology Transfers," Working Papers 398, Barcelona Graduate School of Economics.
- Inés Macho-Stadler & David Pérez-Castrillo, 2009. "Incentives in University Technology Transfers," UFAE and IAE Working Papers 785.09, Unitat de Fonaments de l'Anàlisi Econòmica (UAB) and Institut d'Anàlisi Econòmica (CSIC).
- ÐšÐ¾Ð·Ñ‹Ñ€ÐµÐ² Ð.Ð. & ÐÐµÐ²Ð¾Ð»Ð¸Ð½ Ð˜. Ð’., 2013. "ÐŸÑ€Ð¸Ð¼ÐµÐ½ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ðµ ÐÐ»Ð³Ð¾Ñ€Ð¸Ñ‚Ð¼Ð° Ð ÐµÑˆÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ Ð—Ð°Ð´Ð°Ñ‡Ð¸ ÐžÐ± ÐžÐ¿Ñ‚Ð¸Ð¼Ð°Ð»ÑŒÐ½Ð¾Ð¼ Ð Ð°ÑÐ¿Ñ€ÐµÐ´ÐµÐ»ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ð¸ Ð ÐµÑÑƒÑ€ÑÐ¾Ð² Ðš ÐŸÑ€Ð¾Ð±Ð»ÐµÐ¼Ðµ ÐÐ°Ð·Ð½Ð°Ñ‡ÐµÐ½Ð¸Ñ Ð¦ÐµÐ½Ñ‹ Ð—Ð° Ð˜ÑÐ," Ð–ÑƒÑ€Ð½Ð°Ð» ÐÐºÐ¾Ð½Ð¾Ð¼Ð¸ÐºÐ° Ð¸ Ð¼Ð°Ñ‚ÐµÐ¼Ð°Ñ‚Ð¸Ñ‡ÐµÑÐºÐ¸Ðµ Ð¼ÐµÑ‚Ð¾Ð´Ñ‹ (ÐÐœÐœ), Ð¦ÐµÐ½Ñ‚Ñ€Ð°Ð»ÑŒÐ½Ñ‹Ð¹ ÐÐºÐ¾Ð½Ð¾Ð¼Ð¸ÐºÐ¾-ÐœÐ°Ñ‚ÐµÐ¼Ð°Ñ‚Ð¸Ñ‡ÐµÑÐºÐ¸Ð¹ Ð˜Ð½ÑÑ‚Ð¸Ñ‚ÑƒÑ‚ (Ð¦ÐÐœÐ˜), Ð¦ÐµÐ½Ñ‚Ñ€Ð°Ð»ÑŒÐ½Ñ‹Ð¹ ÐÐºÐ¾Ð½Ð¾Ð¼Ð¸ÐºÐ¾-ÐœÐ°Ñ‚ÐµÐ¼Ð°Ñ‚Ð¸Ñ‡ÐµÑÐºÐ¸Ð¹ Ð˜Ð½ÑÑ‚Ð¸Ñ‚ÑƒÑ‚ (Ð¦ÐÐœÐ˜), vol. 49(3), pages 57-68, Ð¸ÑŽÐ»ÑŒ.
- FÃ¤rnstrand Damsgaard, Erika & Thursby, Marie, 2012.
"University Entrepreneurship and Professor Privilege,"
Working Paper Series, Research Institute of Industrial Economics
909, Research Institute of Industrial Economics, revised 12 Apr 2012.
- Erika Farnstrand Damsgaard & Marie C. Thursby, 2012. "University Entrepreneurship and Professor Privilege," NBER Working Papers 17980, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Joanna Poyago-Theotoky, 2009. "University-industry technology transfer options: licensing or research joint venture?," Economics Bulletin, AccessEcon, vol. 29(4), pages 2582-2591.
- Dechenaux, Emmanuel & Thursby, Jerry & Thursby, Marie, 2011.
"Inventor moral hazard in university licensing: The role of contracts,"
Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 94-104, February.
- Emmanuel Dechenaux & Jerry Thursby & Marie C. Thursby, 2008. "Inventor Moral Hazard in University Licensing: The Role of Contracts," NBER Working Papers 14226, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Banal-Estanol, A. & Macho-Stadler, I., 2008. "Commercial Incentives in Academia," Working Papers, Department of Economics, City University London 08/13, Department of Economics, City University London.
- David Grosse Kathoefer & Jens Leker, 2012. "Knowledge transfer in academia: an exploratory study on the Not-Invented-Here Syndrome," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, Springer, vol. 37(5), pages 658-675, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fundacion BBVA / BBVA Foundation).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.