Negative Effects of Intellectual Property Protection: The unusual suspects?
AbstractThe negative effects of intellectual property protection (IPP) on trade volume were found in previous research findings in which market power effects dominate market expansion effects. Because both effects increase profits, IPP induces entry without ambiguity. However, using product-level entry data, negative effects on market supply are found after controlling for country-specific effects. An examination of entry mode choice (direct supply vs. licensing) reveals that while the direct supply mode is negatively related to IPP, licensing is not, implying that firms facing infringement risk or intense competition may avoid direct supply in IPP-stringent countries.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 12057.
Length: 17 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-10-06 (All new papers)
- NEP-COM-2012-10-06 (Industrial Competition)
- NEP-INO-2012-10-06 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2012-10-06 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-TID-2012-10-06 (Technology & Industrial Dynamics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Josh Lerner, 2002.
"150 Years of Patent Protection,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 92(2), pages 221-225, May.
- Maskus, Keith E. & Penubarti, Mohan, 1995. "How trade-related are intellectual property rights?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 39(3-4), pages 227-248, November.
- Margaret Kyle Author-Email: firstname.lastname@example.org Author-Workplace-Name: London Business School, 2006.
"The Role of Firm Characteristics in Pharmaceutical Product Launches,"
RAND Journal of Economics,
The RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 602-618, Autumn.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2006. "The role of firm characteristics in pharmaceutical product launches," RAND Journal of Economics, RAND Corporation, vol. 37(3), pages 602-618, 09.
- Kyle, Margaret, 2006. "The Role of Firm Characteristics in Pharmaceutical Product Launches," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Mukesh Eswaran, 1994. "Cross-Licensing of Competing Patents as a Facilitating Device," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 27(3), pages 689-708, August.
- Suzanne Scotchmer, 1991. "Standing on the Shoulders of Giants: Cumulative Research and the Patent Law," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 5(1), pages 29-41, Winter.
- Ivus, Olena, 2010. "Do stronger patent rights raise high-tech exports to the developing world?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 81(1), pages 38-47, May.
- Smith, Pamela J., 1999. "Are weak patent rights a barrier to U.S. exports?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(1), pages 151-177, June.
- McCalman, Phillip, 2004. "Foreign direct investment and intellectual property rights: evidence from Hollywood's global distribution of movies and videos," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 62(1), pages 107-123, January.
- Wen-Hsien Liu & Ya-Chi Lin, 2005. "Foreign patent rights and high-tech exports: evidence from Taiwan," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 37(13), pages 1543-1555.
- Margaret K. Kyle, 2007.
"Pharmaceutical Price Controls and Entry Strategies,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 89(1), pages 88-99, February.
- Kyle, Margaret, 2007. "Pharmaceutical Price Controls and Entry Strategies," Open Access publications from University of Toulouse 1 Capitole http://neeo.univ-tlse1.fr, University of Toulouse 1 Capitole.
- Guifang Yang & Keith Maskus, 2001. "Intellectual property rights and licensing: An econometric investigation," Review of World Economics (Weltwirtschaftliches Archiv), Springer, vol. 137(1), pages 58-79, March.
- Jay Pil Choi & Carl Davidson, 2004. "Strategic Second Sourcing by Multinationals," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 45(2), pages 579-600, 05.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.