New Estimates of the Equilibrium Exchange Rate: The case for the Chinese renminbi
AbstractWe estimate the equilibrium exchange rate (EER) of the Chinese renminbi (RMB) vis-a-vis the U.S. dollar from 1992 to 2008. In contrast to the recent empirical studies on the EER employing a large cross-country analysis, we focus on the supply side real factors in estimating the EER by extending the Yoshikawa (1990) model. To better reflect China's processing exports in the context of growing intra-regional trade in Asia, we incorporate in the empirical analysis the source country breakdown data on import prices and input coefficients of intermediate inputs by constructing an annual new International Input-Output (IIO) table for the period from 1992 to 2008. The results show that the EER of Chinese RMB appreciates sharply from 2005 to 2008, suggesting that the current RMB exchange rate has been substantially undervalued and should be revalued by 65 percent from the year 2000 level. Such sharp appreciation of the EER corresponds to the dramatic increase in China's current account surplus from the mid-2000s, especially against the United States, which is ascribed to the significant improvement of both labor and intermediate input coefficients in China.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 10045.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2010
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Kiyotaka Sato & Junko Shimizu & Nagendra Shrestha & Zhaoyong Zhang, 2012. "New Estimates of the Equilibrium Exchange Rate: The Case for the Chinese Renminbi," The World Economy, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 35(4), pages 419-443, 04.
- NEP-ALL-2010-10-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-MON-2010-10-16 (Monetary Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2010-10-16 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2010-10-16 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Virginie Coudert & Cécile Couharde, 2005. "Real Equilibrium Exchange Rate in China," Working Papers 2005-01, CEPII research center.
- Yin-wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007.
"The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation,"
112007, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," CESifo Working Paper Series 1918, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yin-Wong Cheung & Menzie D. Chinn & Eiji Fujii, 2007. "The Overvaluation of Renminbi Undervaluation," NBER Working Papers 12850, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Yushi Yoshida & Shinji Takagi, 1999. "Exchange Rate Movements and Tradable Goods Prices in East Asia - An Analysis Based on Japanese Customs Data, 1988-98," IMF Working Papers 99/31, International Monetary Fund.
- Rebecca L Driver & Peter F Westaway, 2005. "Concepts of equilibrium exchange rates," Bank of England working papers 248, Bank of England.
- Fukao, Kyoji & Yuan, Tang jun, 2012.
"China's Economic Growth, Structural Change and the Lewisian Turning Point,"
CEI Working Paper Series
2012-04, Center for Economic Institutions, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Fukao, Kyoji & Yuan, Tangjun, 2012. "China'S Economic Growth, Structural Change And The Lewisian Turning Point," Hitotsubashi Journal of Economics, Hitotsubashi University, vol. 53(2), pages 147-176, December.
- FUKAO Kyoji & Tangjun YUAN, 2012. "China's Economic Growth, Structural Change and the Lewisian Turning Point," Discussion papers 12056, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kyoji Fukao & Tangjun Yuan, 2012. "China's Economic Growth, Structural Change and the Lewisian Turning Point," Global COE Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series gd12-267, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Wang, Gang-Jin & Xie, Chi, 2013. "Cross-correlations between Renminbi and four major currencies in the Renminbi currency basket," Physica A: Statistical Mechanics and its Applications, Elsevier, vol. 392(6), pages 1418-1428.
- Zhibai, Zhang, 2012. "A Simple Model and Its Application in the Valuation of Five Asian Real Exchange Rates," MPRA Paper 40953, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Zhang, Zhibai & Chen, Langnan, 2013. "A New Assessment of the Chinese RMB Exchange Rate," MPRA Paper 49315, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.