IT, Enterprise Reform and Productivity in Chinese Manufacturing Firms
AbstractThis paper is a first attempt of looking into the impact of IT and enterprise reform on productivity of Chinese manufacturing firms by using large scale firm level datasets from 1995 to 2002. It is found that enterprise reforms captured by entry and exit of firms have a positive impact on aggregated productivity growth. In addition, IT plays relatively more important role in productivity performance of post reform enterprises, as compared to enterprises which are not affected by major restructuring in the course of Chinese state owned enterprise reforms.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 05025.
Length: 20 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2005
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2008. "IT, enterprise reform, and productivity in Chinese manufacturing firms," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 325-333, August.
- NEP-ALL-2005-10-04 (All new papers)
- NEP-EFF-2005-10-04 (Efficiency & Productivity)
- NEP-ENT-2005-10-04 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-ICT-2005-10-04 (Information & Communication Technologies)
- NEP-SEA-2005-10-04 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2005-10-04 (Transition Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dale W. Jorgenson & Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2005.
"Information Technology and the Japanese Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
11801, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jorgenson, Dale W. & Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2005. "Information technology and the Japanese economy," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 460-481, December.
- Dale Jorgenson & Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2004. "Information Technology and the Japanese Economy," NBER Chapters, in: Enhancing Productivity (NBER-CEPR-TCER-Keio conference) National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Watanabe, Mariko, 2002. "Holding company risk in China: a final step of state-owned enterprises reform and an emerging problem of corporate governance," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 373-381, December.
- Zvi Griliches & Jerry A. Hausman, 1984.
"Errors in Variables in Panel Data,"
NBER Technical Working Papers
0037, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin & Zhao, Ronald, 2001. "Impact of Ownership and Competition on the Productivity of Chinese Enterprises," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 327-346, June.
- Jefferson, Gary H. & Rawski, Thomas G. & Li, Wang & Yuxin, Zheng, 2000. "Ownership, Productivity Change, and Financial Performance in Chinese Industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 786-813, December.
- Gary H. Jefferson & Thomas G. Rawski, 1994. "Enterprise Reform in Chinese Industry," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 47-70, Spring.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2007.
"Firm-level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan,"
Journal of the Japanese and International Economies,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 121-137, March.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2004. "Firm level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan," Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series d03-14, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2003. "Firm level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan," Discussion papers 03021, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Kazuyuki Motohashi & Xiao Yun, 2005.
"China's Innovation System Reform and Growing Industry and Science Linkages,"
05011, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki & Yun, Xiao, 2007. "China's innovation system reform and growing industry and science linkages," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(8), pages 1251-1260, October.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1995.
"Production Functions: The Search for Identification,"
NBER Working Papers
5067, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Z, Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1997. "Production Functions : The Search for Identification," Working Papers 97-30, Centre de Recherche en Economie et Statistique.
- Zvi Griliches & Jacques Mairesse, 1995. "Production Functions: The Search for Identification," Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers 1719, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Jefferson, Gary & Hu, Albert G. Z. & Guan, Xiaojing & Yu, Xiaoyun, 2003. "Ownership, performance, and innovation in China's large- and medium-size industrial enterprise sector," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 89-113.
- Tian Zhu, 1999. "China'S Corporatization Drive: An Evaluation And Policy Implications," Contemporary Economic Policy, Western Economic Association International, vol. 17(4), pages 530-539, October.
- Meng, Qingxuan & Li, Mingzhi, 2002. "New Economy and ICT development in China," Information Economics and Policy, Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 275-295, June.
- MOTOHASHI Kazuyuki & YUAN Yuan, 2009. "IT, R&D and Productivity of Chinese Manufacturing Firms," Discussion papers 09007, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Tomohiro MACHIKITA & Masatsugu TSUJI & Yasushi UEKI, 2010. "How ICTs Raise Manufacturing Performance: Firm-level Evidence in Southeast Asia," Working Papers DP-2010-07, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Grace Kite, 2012. "The Impact of Information Technology Outsourcing on Productivity and Output: New Evidence from India," Working Papers 173, Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.