IT, R&D and Productivity of Chinese Manufacturing Firms
AbstractThis paper analyzes the productivity performance of Chinese manufacturing firms from 1995 to 2003 by using a large-scale firm-level dataset from the National Bureau of Statistics, Peoples Republic of China. Over this period, a large number of firms were converted to stock holding companies, and an increasing presence of foreign-owned companies further accelerated structural changes in Chinese industry sectors. It is found that such changes of ownership positively contribute to aggregate productivity growth. In addition, IT and R&D intensity is positively correlated with firm-level productivity growth. However, we cannot find a positive impact of either IT or R&D on productivity after controlling reverse causality of productivity on IT and R&D investments.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 09007.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin & Zhao, Ronald, 2001. "Impact of Ownership and Competition on the Productivity of Chinese Enterprises," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 327-346, June.
- Blundell, R. & Bond, S., 1995.
"Initial Conditions and Moment Restrictions in Dynamic Panel Data Models,"
104, Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Blundell, Richard & Bond, Stephen, 1998. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 87(1), pages 115-143, August.
- R Blundell & Steven Bond, . "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data model," Economics Papers W14&104., Economics Group, Nuffield College, University of Oxford.
- Richard Blundell & Steve Bond, 1995. "Initial conditions and moment restrictions in dynamic panel data models," IFS Working Papers W95/17, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Albert G. Z. Hu & Gary H. Jefferson & Qian Jinchang, 2005. "R&D and Technology Transfer: Firm-Level Evidence from Chinese Industry," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 87(4), pages 780-786, November.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2005.
"IT, Enterprise Reform and Productivity in Chinese Manufacturing Firms,"
05025, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2008. "IT, enterprise reform, and productivity in Chinese manufacturing firms," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 325-333, August.
- Gary H. Jefferson & Thomas G. Rawski, 1994. "Enterprise Reform in Chinese Industry," Journal of Economic Perspectives, American Economic Association, vol. 8(2), pages 47-70, Spring.
- Jefferson, Gary H. & Rawski, Thomas G. & Li, Wang & Yuxin, Zheng, 2000. "Ownership, Productivity Change, and Financial Performance in Chinese Industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 786-813, December.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2004.
"Firm level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan,"
Hi-Stat Discussion Paper Series
d03-14, Institute of Economic Research, Hitotsubashi University.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2007. "Firm-level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan," Journal of the Japanese and International Economies, Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 121-137, March.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2003. "Firm level analysis of information network use and productivity in Japan," Discussion papers 03021, Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI).
- Watanabe, Mariko, 2002. "Holding company risk in China: a final step of state-owned enterprises reform and an emerging problem of corporate governance," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(4), pages 373-381, December.
- Qiang, Qu, 2003. "Corporate governance and state-owned shares in China listed companies," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 771-783, October.
- Yang, Chih-Hai & Lin, Hui-Lin & Li, Hsiao-Yun, 2013. "Influences of production and R&D agglomeration on productivity: Evidence from Chinese electronics firms," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 27(C), pages 162-178.
- Lin, Hui-Lin & Li, Hsiao-Yun & Yang, Chih-Hai, 2011. "Agglomeration and productivity: Firm-level evidence from China's textile industry," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(3), pages 313-329, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.