R&D of Multinationals in China: Structure, Motivations and Regional Difference
AbstractIn this paper, the motivations of R&D by multinationals are investigated by using a large firm level dataset from Chinese official statistics on science and technology activities. Growing intensity of R&D activities is found both for foreign owned and domestic firms. But, it is also found that the R&D intensity at foreign owned firms is relatively smaller. This may be due to the fact that foreign owned firms are operating by relying of technological capabilities at home. Statistical analysis confirms that the major motivation of foreign R&D in China is "market driven" instead of "technological driven" or "human resource driven". However, there is a great variation of foreign R&D strategy across regions. Market driven R&D is found mainly in Guangdong, which is called a world IT factory, and does not have strong universities or PRIs. In contrast, R&D strategy in Beijing is oriented toward technology driven approach, because we can find a cluster of scientific institutions there. Shanghai, with both a large industrial base as well as strong science sector, is in-between.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research Institute of Economy, Trade and Industry (RIETI) in its series Discussion papers with number 06005.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Feb 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 11th floor, Annex, Ministry of Economy, Trade and Industry (METI) 1-3-1, Kasumigaseki Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, 100-8901
Web page: http://www.rieti.go.jp/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-03-11 (All new papers)
- NEP-CNA-2006-03-11 (China)
- NEP-INO-2006-03-11 (Innovation)
- NEP-MIC-2006-03-11 (Microeconomics)
- NEP-SEA-2006-03-11 (South East Asia)
- NEP-TRA-2006-03-11 (Transition Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Maurice CATIN & Christophe VAN HUFFEL, 2008. "Clusters Et Stratégies De Développement En Chine," Region et Developpement, Region et Developpement, LEAD, Universite du Sud - Toulon Var, vol. 28, pages 39-60.
- Liu, Meng-chun & Chen, Shin-Horng, 2012. "MNCs’ offshore R&D networks in host country's regional innovation system: The case of Taiwan-based firms in China," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 41(6), pages 1107-1120.
- Motohashi, Kazuyuki, 2012.
"Management of Offshore R&D in China : Cross Country Differences in Motivation and Performance,"
50094, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kazuyuki Motohashi, 2012. "Management of Offshore R&D in China: Cross Country Differences in Motivation and Performance," Institutions and Economies (formerly known as International Journal of Institutions and Economies), Faculty of Economics and Administration, University of Malaya, vol. 4(2), pages 101-120, July.
- Khan, Haider, 2013. "Industrialization and Development Strategies in the 21st Century: Towards Sustainable Innovation Systems," MPRA Paper 50168, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (NUKATANI Sorahiko).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.