Patterns of Inclusive Growth in Developing Asia: Insights from an Enhanced Growth-Poverty Elasticity Analysis
AbstractThe primary objective of this research is to identify key factors that explain the observed wide variation in patterns of inclusiveness of economic growth—defined here as gross domestic product (GDP) growth that leads to significant poverty reduction—in Asia. In exploring this relationship, this study goes beyond defining poverty by the income or expenditure yardstick alone, but examines a more holistic measure of poverty that considers its multidimensional nature. [ADBI Working Paper 145]
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by eSocialSciences in its series Working Papers with number id:3076.
Date of creation: Oct 2010
Date of revision:
Note: Institutional Papers
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.esocialsciences.org
primary objective; research; economic growth; gross domestic product (GDP);
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Rana Hasan & M. G. Quibria, 2004. "Industry Matters for Poverty: A Critique of Agricultural Fundamentalism," Kyklos, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 253-264, 05.
- Ravallion, Martin & Chen, Shaohua, 1997.
"What Can New Survey Data Tell Us about Recent Changes in Distribution and Poverty?,"
World Bank Economic Review,
World Bank Group, vol. 11(2), pages 357-82, May.
- Ravallion, Martin & Shaohua Chen, 1996. "What can new survey data tell us about recent changes in distribution and poverty?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1694, The World Bank.
- Dekkers, Gijs, 2003. "Financial and Multidimensional Poverty in European Countries: can the former be used as a proxy of the latter?," IRISS Working Paper Series 2003-13, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Barrett, Christopher B., 2003.
"Rural Poverty Dynamics: Development Policy Implications,"
127243, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Christopher B. Barrett, 2005. "Rural poverty dynamics: development policy implications," Agricultural Economics, International Association of Agricultural Economists, vol. 32(s1), pages 45-60, 01.
- Agenor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2005.
"Roads out of poverty? assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3490, The World Bank.
- Agénor, Pierre-Richard & Bayraktar, Nihal & El Aynaoui, Karim, 2008. "Roads out of poverty? Assessing the links between aid, public investment, growth, and poverty reduction," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 86(2), pages 277-295, June.
- Jacques Silber, 2007.
"Measuring poverty: taking a multidimensional perspective,"
Hacienda Pública Española,
IEF, vol. 182(3), pages 29-74, September.
- Jacques Silber, 2007. "Measuring Poverty: Taking a Multidimensional Perspective," Working Papers 2007-14, FEDEA.
- Chambers, Dustin & Wu, Ying & Yao, Hong, 2008. "The impact of past growth on poverty in Chinese provinces," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 19(4), pages 348-357, August.
- Dollar, David & Kraay, Aart, 2001.
"Growth is good for the poor,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
2587, The World Bank.
- Costa, Michele, 2002. "A multidimensional approach to the measurement of poverty," IRISS Working Paper Series 2002-05, IRISS at CEPS/INSTEAD.
- Quibria, M.G., 2003. "Growth and Poverty Reduction Does Political Regime Matter?," MPRA Paper 10302, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised Jun 2003.
- Kanbur, Ravi, 2001.
"Economic Policy, Distribution and Poverty: The Nature of Disagreements,"
Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 1083-1094, June.
- Kanbur Ravi, 2001. "Economic Policy, Distribution and Poverty: The Nature of Disagreements," Peace Economics, Peace Science, and Public Policy, De Gruyter, vol. 7(2), pages 1-26, April.
- Ferreira, Francisco H.G. & Ravallion, Martin, 2008. "Global poverty and inequality : a review of the evidence," Policy Research Working Paper Series 4623, The World Bank.
- Quibria, M.G., 2002. "Growth and Poverty: Lessons from the East Asian Miracle Revisited," MPRA Paper 2638, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Bjørnskov, Christian, 2008. "The growth-inequality association: Government ideology matters," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 87(2), pages 300-308, October.
- Kakwani, Nanak & Silber, Jacques, 2008. "Introduction: Multidimensional Poverty Analysis: Conceptual Issues, Empirical Illustrations and Policy Implications," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 36(6), pages 987-991, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Padma Prakash).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.