Institutional Diversity, Agency and Governance for Sustainable Value
AbstractExtant views of (shareholder) value, (corporate) governance, and competitiveness have a narrow view of 'agency', a poorly developed theory of value and pay little attention to sustainability. In this paper we develop a perspective on the determinants of value-wealth creation at the firm, meso-, and national levels, explore the limitations of extant theory of the firm, concerning governance and value in its context, and discuss some prerequisites of sustainability. We conclude that the pursuit of value is not antithetical to, but it derives from, the notion of sustainability, that sustainability requires both internal and external controls and that institutional diversity can help effect mutual 'stewardship' and monitoring. Moreover, for sustainable value creation, corporate governance needs to be aligned to national and global governance.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic and Social Research Institute (ESRI) in its series Papers with number DYNREG39.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
institutions; agency; governance; sustainability; value;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pitelis,Christos, 2004. "Corporate Capital," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521607452, November.
- Armen A. Alchian & Harold Demsetz, 1971.
"Production, Information Costs and Economic Organizations,"
UCLA Economics Working Papers
10A, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Alchian, Armen A & Demsetz, Harold, 1972. "Production , Information Costs, and Economic Organization," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 62(5), pages 777-95, December.
- Richardson, G B, 1972. "The Organisation of Industry," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 82(327), pages 883-96, September.
- Young, Allyn A., 1928. "Increasing Returns and Economic Progress," History of Economic Thought Articles, McMaster University Archive for the History of Economic Thought, vol. 38, pages 527-542.
- Fama, Eugene F, 1980. "Agency Problems and the Theory of the Firm," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 88(2), pages 288-307, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Sarah Burns).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.