What Are the Opportunities and Challenges for ASEAN?
AbstractThis paper attempts to investigate the features of development and restructuring patterns of regional production/distribution networks, mainly in machinery sectors, using finely disaggregated international trade data. More specifically, the paper first studies the developing patterns of machinery trade for the East Asian countries, then examines those patterns in terms of the extensive margin in order to investigate the extent and depth of the networks, and demonstrate how the networks and industrial shape are being restructured. The paper also presents some evidences on the expanding connectivity of production networks in East Asia from regional to global by shedding lights on the link between East Asia and Europe via CEE countries and concludes with policy implications on challenges in taking advantages of the mechanics of the 2nd unbundling for each ASEAN member state and ASEAN as a whole.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA) in its series Working Papers with number DP-2013-31.
Length: 41 pages.
Date of creation: Nov 2013
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: The ASEAN Secretariat Mezzanine Floor, 70A Jl.Sisingamangaraja, Jakarta 12110
Web page: http://www.eria.org/
More information through EDIRC
international production networks; machinery trade; East Asia; the extensive margin;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-12-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-INT-2013-12-15 (International Trade)
- NEP-SEA-2013-12-15 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ando, Mitsuyo, 2006. "Fragmentation and vertical intra-industry trade in East Asia," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 17(3), pages 257-281, December.
- Deardorff, A.V., 1998.
"Fragmentation in Simple Trade Models,"
98-11, Michigan - Center for Research on Economic & Social Theory.
- Deardorff, Alan V., 2001. "Fragmentation in simple trade models," The North American Journal of Economics and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 121-137, July.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Hiroshi Okasaki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.