Production Linkage of Asia and Europe via Central and Eastern Europe
AbstractThis paper investigates the novel development of machinery trade pattern in the Central and Eastern Europe (CEE) and analyzes the extent and depth of production networks in Europe from the perspective of their links with East Asia during the past 15 years, 1995~2010. Our descriptive analysis based on the total value of trade and the extensive margin demonstrates further production fragmentation in Europe, shifting from Western Europe (CEE production sharing to a regional network with more active transactions among CEE countries) to a global link with East Asia via CEE, particularly in the electric machinery sector. Our quantitative analysis verifies the evolution of production networks in Europe, from regional to global. These results partially reflect the reduction in services link costs, the evolution of industrial clustering among CEE countries particularly after the EU enlargement, and the strengthening competence of production networks in East Asia.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Center for Economic Integration, Sejong University in its journal Journal of Economic Integration.
Volume (Year): 28 (2013)
Issue (Month): ()
The 2nd unbundling; Fragmentation; Agglomeration; Intensive and Extensive Margins; Machinery trade;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F14 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Empirical Studies of Trade
- F15 - International Economics - - Trade - - - Economic Integration
- F23 - International Economics - - International Factor Movements and International Business - - - Multinational Firms; International Business
- L23 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior - - - Organization of Production
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Yoshifumi Fukunaga & John Riandy & Pierre Sauve, . "Introduction and Overview," Chapters, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Mitsuyo ANDO & Fukunari KIMURA, 2013. "Evolution of Machinery Production Networks: Linkage of North America with East Asia," Working Papers DP-2013-32, Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA).
- Éltető, Andrea, 2014.
"A visegrádi országok kereskedelme Ázsiával - a globális termelés lenyomata
[The trade of the Visegrád countries with Asia - a manifestation of global production]," Közgazdasági Szemle (Economic Review - monthly of the Hungarian Academy of Sciences), Közgazdasági Szemle Alapítvány (Economic Review Foundation), vol. 0(5), pages 586-608.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Jong-Eun Lee).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.