Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies
AbstractThis paper establishes an identification of stationary equilibria of an infinite-horizon economy and equilibria of a naturally related finite economy. More specifically, the connection is established, firstly, between cycles of an overlapping generations economy and the equilibria of a finite economy with a cyclical structure. Such connection is then extended to hold also when extrinsic uncertainty is introduced in the models. In order to obtain the adequate counterpart of the connection once the extrinsic uncertainty is introduced, we are lead to consider in the overlapping generations framework sunspot equilibria of a broad class, called here sunspot cycles. The previous connections between the equilibria of the two frameworks, with and without sunspots, are used to show that: a) overlapping generations economies allowing for heterogeneity across generations typically fluctuate aperiodically for arbitrarily long periods of time, while nevertheless being able to exhibit an approximate cyclical behavior during those periods and b) the presence of asymmetric information on an extrinsic uncertainty may induce continua of equilibria in finite economies.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Econometric Society in its series Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers with number 1124.
Date of creation: 01 Aug 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Phone: 1 212 998 3820
Fax: 1 212 995 4487
Web page: http://www.econometricsociety.org/pastmeetings.asp
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Julio Dávila, . "Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies," CARESS Working Papres 00-08, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Julio Dávila, . "Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies," Penn CARESS Working Papers 9819996a2b80f99a81bf1509c, Penn Economics Department.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jan Tuinstra & Claus Weddepohl, 1999. "On the equivalence between the overlapping-generations model and cyclical general-equilibrium models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 187-207, June.
- Forges, F. & Peck, J., .
"Correlated equilibrium and sunspot equilibrium,"
CORE Discussion Papers RP
-1140, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Maskin, Eric & Tirole, Jean, 1987. "Correlated equilibria and sunspots," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 364-373, December.
- Debreu, Gerard, 1970.
"Economies with a Finite Set of Equilibria,"
Econometric Society, vol. 38(3), pages 387-92, May.
- Julio Dávila & Piero Gottardi & Atsushi Kajii, 2007.
"Local Sunspot Equilibria Reconsidered,"
Springer, vol. 31(3), pages 401-425, June.
- Balasko Yves & Ghiglino Christian, 1995.
"On the Existence of Endogenous Cycles,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 67(2), pages 566-577, December.
- Chiappori, P.A. & Guesnerie, R., 1990.
"Sunspot Equilibria in Sequential Markets Models,"
DELTA Working Papers
90-05, DELTA (Ecole normale supérieure).
- Azariadis, Costas & Guesnerie, Roger, 1986. "Sunspots and Cycles," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 53(5), pages 725-37, October.
- Guesnerie, Roger, 1986. "Stationary sunspot equilibria in an N commodity world," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 40(1), pages 103-127, October.
- Grandmont Jean-michel, 1983.
"On endogenous competitive business cycles,"
CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange)
- Cass, David & Shell, Karl, 1983. "Do Sunspots Matter?," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 91(2), pages 193-227, April.
- Davila, J., 1999. "The Connection Between Correlated and Sunspot Equilibria Revisited," Papiers d'Economie MathÃÂ©matique et Applications 1999.78, UniversitÃ© PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Paris 1).
- Julio Dávila, .
"Time and Uncertainty in Overlapping Generations Economies,"
Penn CARESS Working Papers
f4274aafd97bb75e2364542f8, Penn Economics Department.
- Davila, Julio, 2001. "Time and Uncertainty in Overlapping Generations Economies," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 356-386, October.
- Julio Dávila, . "Time and Uncertainty in Overlapping Generations Economies," CARESS Working Papres 00-09, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.