On The Existence Of Endogenous Cycles
AbstractEndogenous business cycles have been known to exist in the overlapping-generations model since quite a long time. The literature seems to imply that these cycles may exist only if individuals show rates of preference for the present that are high enough, and these values have to be so high that they are unrealistic. While this observation is true if preferences are homothetic, we show in this paper that, once the homotheticity requirement is dropped, a sufficient condition for the existence of cycles is that the Engel curve defined for equal prices (therefore taken equal to one) has at least a point where the slope is smaller than one. This condition expresses a mild form of impatience. Given this condition, it is always possible to find a discounted utility function (for any arbitrary given discount rate smaller than one) and positive endowments such that the corresponding overlapping- generations model features cycles of order two.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Theory and Mathematics of the Economy and the Society in its series Preprints with number _001.
Date of creation:
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in J.E.T
Other versions of this item:
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Davila, Julio, 2001.
"Time and Uncertainty in Overlapping Generations Economies,"
Journal of Economic Theory,
Elsevier, vol. 100(2), pages 356-386, October.
- Julio Dávila, . "Time and Uncertainty in Overlapping Generations Economies," Penn CARESS Working Papers f4274aafd97bb75e2364542f8, Penn Economics Department.
- Julio Dávila, . "Time and Uncertainty in Overlapping Generations Economies," CARESS Working Papres 00-09, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Orlando Gomes, 2008. "Time Preference and Cyclical Endogenous Growth in an AK Growth Model," Notas Económicas, Faculdade de Economia, Universidade de Coimbra, issue 28, pages 32-55, December.
- Gomes, Orlando, 2007. "Time preference and cyclical endogenous growth," MPRA Paper 3282, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jan Tuinstra & Claus Weddepohl, 1999. "On the equivalence between the overlapping-generations model and cyclical general-equilibrium models," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 70(2), pages 187-207, June.
- Julio Davila, 2000.
"Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies,"
Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers
1124, Econometric Society.
- Julio Dávila, . "Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies," Penn CARESS Working Papers 9819996a2b80f99a81bf1509c, Penn Economics Department.
- Julio Dávila, . "Reducing Overlapping Generations Economies to Finite Economies," CARESS Working Papres 00-08, University of Pennsylvania Center for Analytic Research and Economics in the Social Sciences.
- Balasko, Yves, 2003. "Economies with price-dependent preferences," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 333-359, April.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Thomas Krichel).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.