Ownership, Foreign Investment and Productivity--A Case Study of the Automotive Industry in China
AbstractIt is widely believed that the enter of multinational automakers and the ownership reforms of native enterprises promoted the development of Chinas automotive industry in recent years, but no study has been conducted on its productivity. In this study, using micro-data on Chinas automakers from 1999 to 2004, we tried to elucidate the characteristics of the development of Chinas auto industry. According to the analysis results based on Cob-Douglas type production function, we found, 1) the rapid development of auto industries in China accompanies a rapid improvement in productivity from 1999-2004; 2) in Chinas auto industry, foreign-affiliated firms or foreign capital have overwhelming strength with regard to productivity; 3) the improvement in productivity of auto industry is not attributable to foreign-affiliated firms or foreign capital only, the contribution of state capital to productivity has risen gradually, and has approached that of non-state capital.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Microeconomics Working Papers with number 21892.
Date of creation: Aug 2006
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
productivity; auto industry; multinational automaker; ownership reform;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zheng, Jinghai & Liu, Xiaoxuan & Bigsten, Arne, 2003.
"Efficiency, technical progress, and best practice in Chinese state enterprises (1980-1994),"
Journal of Comparative Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 31(1), pages 134-152, March.
- Zheng, Jinghai & Liu, Xiaxuan & Bigsten, Arne, 2000. "Efficiency, Technical Progress, and Best Practice in Chinese State Enterprises (1980-1994)," Working Papers in Economics 30, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Jefferson, Gary H. & Rawski, Thomas G. & Zheng, Yuxin, 1996. "Chinese Industrial Productivity: Trends, Measurement Issues, and Recent Developments," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 146-180, October.
- Joseph F. Francois & Dean Spinanger, 2004.
"Regulated Efficiency, World Trade Organization Accession, and the Motor Vehicle Sector in China,"
Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers
04-049/2, Tinbergen Institute.
- Joseph F. Francois & Dean Spinanger, 2004. "Regulated Efficiency, World Trade Organization Accession, and the Motor Vehicle Sector in China," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 18(1), pages 85-104.
- Francois, Joseph & Spinanger, Dean, 2004. "Regulated Efficiency, World Trade Organization Accession and the Motor Vehicle Sector in China," CEPR Discussion Papers 4439, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jefferson, Gary & Hu, Albert G. Z. & Guan, Xiaojing & Yu, Xiaoyun, 2003. "Ownership, performance, and innovation in China's large- and medium-size industrial enterprise sector," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 14(1), pages 89-113.
- Groves, Theodore & Yongmiao Hong & John McMillan & Barry Naughton, 1995. "China's Evolving Managerial Labor Market," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 103(4), pages 873-92, August.
- Liu, Deqiang & Otsuka, Keijiro, 2004. "A Comparison of Management Incentives, Abilities, and Efficiency between SOEs and TVEs: The Case of the Iron and Steel Industry in China," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 52(4), pages 759-80, July.
- Jefferson, Gary H. & Rawski, Thomas G. & Li, Wang & Yuxin, Zheng, 2000. "Ownership, Productivity Change, and Financial Performance in Chinese Industry," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 28(4), pages 786-813, December.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.