The Impact of Economic Reform on the Performance of Chinese State Enterprises, 1980-1989
AbstractThe effectiveness of China's incremental industrial reform between 1980 and 1989 is investigated using a panel data set of 272 state enterprises. This paper applies a method that measures marginal products of factors and changes in total factor productivity (TFP) by comparing actual changes in output to actual changes in inputs and in the institutional environment. This paper finds that there were marked improvements in the marginal productivity of factors and in TFP between 1980 and 1989. More important, the evidence shows that over 87 percent of the TFP growth was attributable to improved incentives, intensified product market competition, and improved factor allocation. Copyright 1997 by the University of Chicago.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by University of Chicago Press in its journal Journal of Political Economy.
Volume (Year): 105 (1997)
Issue (Month): 5 (October)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.journals.uchicago.edu/JPE/
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Chen, Shiyi & Jefferson, Gary H. & Zhang, Jun, 2011. "Structural change, productivity growth and industrial transformation in China," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 133-150, March.
- Yuen, Andrew Chi-lok & Zhang, Anming & Cheung, Waiman, 2013. "Foreign participation and competition: A way to improve the container port efficiency in China?," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 49(C), pages 220-231.
- Robert Elliott & Ying Zhou, 2013. "State-Owned Enterprises, Exporting and Productivity in China: A Stochastic Dominance Approach," Discussion Papers 13-03, Department of Economics, University of Birmingham.
- Chenggang Xu, 2011. "The Fundamental Institutions of China's Reforms and Development," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 49(4), pages 1076-1151, December.
- Dan Bogart & Latika Chaudhary, 2013. "Off the Rails: Is State Ownership Bad for Productivity?," Working Papers 131401, University of California-Irvine, Department of Economics.
- Tran Thi, Que Giang, 2008. "The Impacts of Corporate Governance On the Performance of Privatized Firms In Vietnam," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/3860, Paris Dauphine University.
- Ram Mohan, T. T., . "Privatisation in China: softly, softly does it," IIMA Working Papers WP2004-09-04, Indian Institute of Management Ahmedabad, Research and Publication Department.
- Huang, Can & Wu, Yilin & Mohnen, Pierre & Zhao, Yanyun, 2013. "Government support, innovation and productivity in the Haidian (Beijing) District," MERIT Working Papers 058, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Zhang, Le-Yin, 2004. "The Roles of Corporatization and Stock Market Listing in Reforming China's State Industry," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 32(12), pages 2031-2047, December.
- Tian, Xu & Yu, Xiaohua, 2012.
"The Enigmas of TFP in China: A meta-analysis,"
China Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 23(2), pages 396-414.
- Xu Tian & Xiaohua Yu, 2012. "The Enigmas of TFP in China: A Meta-Analysis," Courant Research Centre: Poverty, Equity and Growth - Discussion Papers 113, Courant Research Centre PEG.
- Lu, Susan Feng & Dranove, David, 2013. "Profiting from gaizhi: Management buyouts during China’s privatization," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 634-650.
- Fisher-Vanden, Karen, 2003. "Management structure and technology diffusion in Chinese state-owned enterprises," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 247-257, February.
- Yong Wang & Xuewen Liu & Xi Li, 2013. "A Model of China's State Capitalism," 2013 Meeting Papers 853, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Sun, Qunyan & Zhang, Anming & Li, Jie, 2005. "A study of optimal state shares in mixed oligopoly: Implications for SOE reform and foreign competition," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 16(1), pages 1-27.
- Trien Le & Amon Chizema, 2011. "State ownership and firm performance: Evidence from the Chinese listed firms," Organizations and Markets in Emerging Economies, Faculty of Economics, Vilnius University, vol. 2(2).
- Hang, Leiming & Tu, Meizeng, 2007. "The impacts of energy prices on energy intensity: Evidence from China," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(5), pages 2978-2988, May.
- Zhang, Anming & Zhang, Yimin & Zhao, Ronald, 2002. "Profitability and productivity of Chinese industrial firms: Measurement and ownership implications," China Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 13(1), pages 65-88.
- Trien Le & Trevor Buck, 2011. "State ownership and listed firm performance: a universally negative governance relationship?," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 227-248, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Journals Division).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.