A conceptual framework for development of sustainable development indicators
AbstractThere was a boom in the development of sustainable development indicators (SDIs) after notion of sustainability became popular through Bruntland Commissions report. Since then numerous efforts have been made worldwide in constructing SDIs at global, national and local scales, but in India not a single city has registered any initiative for indicator development . Motivated by this dearth of studies added to the prevailing sustainability risks in million plus cities in India, a research is being undertaken at the Indira Gandhi Institute of Development and Research (IGIDR), Mumbai, India, to develop a set of sustainable indicators to study the resource dynamics of the city of Mumbai. As a first step in the process, the ground for development of SDIs is prepared through the development of a framework. A multi-view black box (MVBB) framework has been constructed by eliminating the system component from the extended urban metabolism model (EUMM) and introducing three-dimensional views of economic efficiency (EE), social wellbeing (SW), and ecological acceptability (EA). Domain-based classification was adopted to facilitate a scientifically credible set of indicators. The important domain areas are identified and applying MVBB framework, a model has been developed for each domain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by East Asian Bureau of Economic Research in its series Development Economics Working Papers with number 22344.
Date of creation: Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: JG Crawford Building #13, Asia Pacific School of Economics and Government, Australian National University, ACT 0200
Web page: http://www.eaber.org
More information through EDIRC
Urban metabolism; Resources transformation; Economic efficiency; Society; Ecology; monitoring and evaluation; City development; Black box; Productization of process;
Other versions of this item:
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2008. "A conceptual framework for development of sustainable development indicators," Working Papers 2008-003, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- Q56 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Environmental Economics - - - Environment and Development; Environment and Trade; Sustainability; Environmental Accounts and Accounting; Environmental Equity; Population Growth
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2011. "Urban transport sustainability indicators: Application of Multi-View Black-Box (MVBB) framework," Working Papers 2011-022, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shiro Armstrong).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.