Urban transport sustainability indicators: Application of Multi-View Black-Box (MVBB) framework
AbstractIn a recent work Nathan and Reddy (2011a) have proposed a Multi-view Black-box (MVBB) framework for development of sustainable development indicators (SDIs) for an urban setup. The framework is flexible to be applied to any domain or sector of urban system. In this paper the proposed MVBB framework is applied for transportation sector of Mumbai city. The paper begins with a discussion on transportation sector and its unsustainability links and trends. It outlines the concept of sustainable transportation system and reviews some of the prominent sustainable transportation indicator initiatives. In order to formalize sustainable development indicators (SDIs) for transportation sector, the study collates the indicators from literature, placed them in Mumbai's context and classified them into the three dimensions of urban sustainability-economic efficiency, social wellbeing and ecological acceptability.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai, India in its series Indira Gandhi Institute of Development Research, Mumbai Working Papers with number 2011-022.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Gen. A. K. Vaidya Marg, Goregaon (E), Mumbai 400065
Phone: (022) 840 0919/20/21
Fax: (022) 840 2752/2026
Web page: http://www.igidr.ac.in
More information through EDIRC
Sustainable transportation system; Potential indicators; Urban sustainability; MVBB; Transport indicators; Economic efficiency; Social wellbeing; Ecological acceptability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- Q01 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - General - - - Sustainable Development
- L92 - Industrial Organization - - Industry Studies: Transportation and Utilities - - - Railroads and Other Surface Transportation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Khandker, Shahidur R. & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1993.
"How infrastructure and financial institutions affect agricultural output and investment in India,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 41(2), pages 337-366, August.
- Binswanger, Hans P. & Khandker, Shahidur R & Rosenzweig, Mark R., 1989. "How infrastructure and financial institutions affect agricultural output and investment in India," Policy Research Working Paper Series 163, The World Bank.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2008.
"A conceptual framework for development of sustainable development indicators,"
2008-003, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2008. "A conceptual framework for development of sustainable development indicators," Development Economics Working Papers 22344, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Robert Dixon, 1998. "Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change," Mitigation and Adaptation Strategies for Global Change, Springer, vol. 3(2), pages 459-464, December.
- Krichene, Noureddine, 2002. "World crude oil and natural gas: a demand and supply model," Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 24(6), pages 557-576, November.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2010.
"Selection Criteria for Sustainable Development Indicators,"
Governance Working Papers
23018, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Hippu Salk Kristle Nathan & B. Sudhakara Reddy, 2010. "Selection criteria for sustainable development indicators," Working Papers 2010-013, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
- B. Sudhakara Reddy & P. Balachandra, 2013. "Benchmarking urban sustainability: A Composite index for Mumbai and Bangalore," Working Papers 2013-008, Madras School of Economics,Chennai,India.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Shamprasad M. Pujar).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.