Econometric Models of Agriculture in OECD Countries: Production, Income, and Agrarian Employment in Spain, France, Japan, and the Usa, 1965-99
AbstractWe present a general view of agricultural employment in four OECD countries: Spain, France, Japan and the USA during the period 1900-1999 and we analyse the effects of the technological transformation this sector underwent during the period 1965-99, by means of an econometric model for agrarian employment and real valued added. A pooled regression is selected after testing the homogeneity of parameters in the four countries. The conclusions point to the important diminution in relative prices of agriculture as the main explanatory variable which accounts both for employment decrease and stagnation, or decline, in agricultural real income, in spite of high increases in real production. The study of this is important as many developing countries are now facing such a socio-economic transformation. There is a need for a change in order to foster analyses of income, prices and other important variables related with the quality of life both of farmers and consumers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Santiago de Compostela. Faculty of Economics and Business. Econometrics. in its series Economic Development with number 60.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Avda Xoan XXIII S/N, 15704 Santiago de Compostela
Phone: (981) 56 31 00 Ext: 11518
Fax: (981) 56 36 37
Web page: http://www.usc.es/economet/welcomei.htm
More information through EDIRC
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C51 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric Modeling - - - Model Construction and Estimation
- N50 - Economic History - - Agriculture, Natural Resources, Environment and Extractive Industries - - - General, International, or Comparative
- O13 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Agriculture; Natural Resources; Environment; Other Primary Products
- O51 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - U.S.; Canada
- O52 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Europe
- O57 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economywide Country Studies - - - Comparative Studies of Countries
You can help add them by filling out this form.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (M. Carmen Guisan).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.