Protective Trade Policies 'Reduce' Employment: A Dynamic Optimization Approach
AbstractUsing a competitive two-country two-commodity monetary model with optimizing agents in which persistent unemployment arises, this paper examines the effects of trade restrictions on consumption and employment in the two countries. When facing unemployment, a country tends to impose an import restriction so that domestic firms will increase production and raise employment. However, this policy improves the current account and hence its currency appreciates, causing its products to lose international competitiveness. Therefore, employment and consumption eventually decrease in the country while in the foreign country its currency depreciates and hence employment and consumption increase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University in its series ISER Discussion Paper with number 0659.
Date of creation: Apr 2006
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1990.
"Channels Of International Policy Transmission,"
9059, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," NBER Working Papers 4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lane, Philip R., 2001.
"The new open economy macroeconomics: a survey,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(2), pages 235-266, August.
- Choi, E. Kwan & Beladi, Hamid, 1993.
"Optimal Trade Policies for a Small Open Economy,"
Staff General Research Papers
672, Iowa State University, Department of Economics.
- Lahiri, S. & Ono, Y., 1995.
"Optimal Tariffs in the Presence of Middlemen,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0389, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Ikeda & S., 2000.
"Tariffs, Time Preference, and the Current Account under Weakly Nonseparable Preferences,"
ISER Discussion Paper
0519, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Shinsuke Ikeda, 2003. "Tariffs, Time Preference, and the Current Account under Weakly Nonseparable Preferences," Review of International Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 11(1), pages 101-113, February.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1987.
"Tariffs, Employment and the Current Account: Real Wage Resistance and the Macroeconomics of Protectionism,"
International Economic Review,
Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 28(3), pages 691-706, October.
- van Wijnbergen, Sweder, 1984. "Tariffs, Employment and the Current Account: Real Wage Resistance and the Macroeconomics of Protectionism," CEPR Discussion Papers 30, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Sweder van Wijnbergen, 1987. "Tariffs, Employment and the Current Account: Real Wage Resistance and the Macroeconomics of Protectionism," NBER Working Papers 2261, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chi-Chur Chao & Chong Yip, 2000. "Urban unemployment and optimal trade policy in a cash-in-advance economy," Journal of Economics, Springer, vol. 71(1), pages 59-77, February.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B, 2000. "International Monetary Policy Coordination and Competitive Depreciation: A Reevaluation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 32(4), pages 722-45, November.
- Ono, Y. & Ogawa, K. & Yoshida, A., 1998. "Liquidity Preference and Persistent Unemployment with Dynamic Optimizing Agents," ISER Discussion Paper 0461, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Hau, Harald, 2000. "Exchange rate determination: The role of factor price rigidities and nontradeables," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 421-447, April.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 2000. "Exchange rate dynamics in a model of pricing-to-market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 215-244, February.
- Bruno Larue & Jean-Philippe Gervais, 2002. "Welfare-maximizing and revenue-maximizing tariffs with a few domestic firms," Canadian Journal of Economics, Canadian Economics Association, vol. 35(4), pages 786-804, November.
- Tadashi Inoue, 2000. "The Optimal Tariff Formula in a Two-Period Economy," The Japanese Economic Review, Japanese Economic Association, vol. 51(4), pages 596-604, December.
- Amelia Santos-Paulino & A. P. Thirlwall, 2004. "The impact of trade liberalisation on exports, imports and the balance of payments of developing countries," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 114(493), pages F50-F72, 02.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.