International Spillover of Economic Fluctuations:A Dynamic Optimization Approach
AbstractAfter the 1990 Japanese stock market crash the Japanese economy began to stagnate whereas the U.S. economy began to expand, yet the yen tended to appreciate against the dollar. Such a phenomenon is difficult to explain in conventional models. This paper examines its mechanism using a two-country dynamic model that accommodates a liquidity trap and unemployment. If the marginal utility of consumption relative to that of liquidity declines in a country, its current account improves, which appreciates the home currency against the foreign currency. Consequently, home products lose competitiveness, causing home employment to decrease and foreign employment to increase.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University in its series ISER Discussion Paper with number 0527.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: 2001
Date of revision:
UNEMPLOYMNENT ; EXCHANGE RATE ; STOCK MARKET;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F41 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - Open Economy Macroeconomics
- F42 - International Economics - - Macroeconomic Aspects of International Trade and Finance - - - International Policy Coordination and Transmission
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Clark, Andrew E. & Oswald, Andrew J., 1998. "Comparison-concave utility and following behaviour in social and economic settings," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 70(1), pages 133-155, October.
- Maurice Obstfeld & Kenneth Rogoff, 1996.
"Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux,"
NBER Working Papers
4693, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Maurice Obstfeld and Kenneth Rogoff., 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," Center for International and Development Economics Research (CIDER) Working Papers C95-048, University of California at Berkeley.
- Obstfeld, Maurice & Rogoff, Kenneth, 1995. "Exchange Rate Dynamics Redux," CEPR Discussion Papers 1131, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Fidelina B. Natividad & Joe A. Stone, 1987.
"A General Equilibruim Model of Exchange Market Intervention with Variable Sterilization,"
UP School of Economics Discussion Papers
198703, University of the Philippines School of Economics.
- Natividad, Fidelina & Stone, Joe A., 1990. "A general equilibrium model of exchange market intervention with variable sterilization," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(1-2), pages 133-145, August.
- Rodrik, Dani, 1987. "Trade and capital-account liberalization in a keynesian economy," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(1-2), pages 113-129, August.
- Stephen J. Turnovsky & Partha Sen, 1991.
"Fiscal Policy, Capital Accumulation, and Debt in an Open Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
3489, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J & Sen, Partha, 1991. "Fiscal Policy, Capital Accumulation, and Debt in an Open Economy," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 43(1), pages 1-24, January.
- Turnovsky, S.J. & Sen, P., 1990. "Fiscal Policy, Capital Accumulation, And Debt In An Open Economy," Discussion Papers in Economics at the University of Washington 90-18, Department of Economics at the University of Washington.
- Turnovsky, S.J. & Sen, P., 1990. "Fiscal Policy, Capital Accumulation, And Debt In An Open Economy," Working Papers 90-18, University of Washington, Department of Economics.
- Ghosh, Atish R., 1992. "Fiscal policy, the terms of trade, and the external balance," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 105-125, August.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Shi, Shouyong, 1991.
"Capital accumulation and the current account in a two-country model,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 30(1-2), pages 1-25, February.
- Michael B. Devereux & Shouyong Shi, 1989. "Capital Accumulation and the Current Account in a Two-Country Model," Working Papers 761, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Ono, Yoshiyasu & Shibata, Akihisa, 1992.
"Spill-over effects of supply-side changes in a two-country economy with capital accumulation,"
Journal of International Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 33(1-2), pages 127-146, August.
- Ono, Y. & Shibata, A., 1990. "Spill-Over Effects Of Supply-Side Changes In A Two-Country Economy With Capital Accumulation," ISER Discussion Paper 0232, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- Van Der Ploeg, F., 1990.
"Channels Of International Policy Transmission,"
9059, Tilburg - Center for Economic Research.
- Kawai, Masahiro, 1985. "Exchange Rates, the Current Account and Monetary-Fiscal Policies in the Short Run and in the Long Run," Oxford Economic Papers, Oxford University Press, vol. 37(3), pages 391-425, September.
- Ono, Yoshiyasu, 2001. "A Reinterpretation of Chapter 17 of Keynes's General Theory: Effective Demand Shortage under Dynamic Optimization," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 42(1), pages 207-36, February.
- Roberts, John M, 1995. "New Keynesian Economics and the Phillips Curve," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 27(4), pages 975-84, November.
- Frenkel, Jacob A & Razin, Assaf, 1985. "Government Spending, Debt, and International Economic Interdependence," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 95(379), pages 619-36, September.
- Ono, Y. & Ogawa, K. & Yoshida, A., 1998. "Liquidity Preference and Persistent Unemployment with Dynamic Optimizing Agents," ISER Discussion Paper 0461, Institute of Social and Economic Research, Osaka University.
- repec:fth:osakae:461 is not listed on IDEAS
- Lyons, Richard K., 1990. "Whence exchange rate overshooting: Money stock or flow?," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 29(3-4), pages 369-384, November.
- Hau, Harald, 2000. "Exchange rate determination: The role of factor price rigidities and nontradeables," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(2), pages 421-447, April.
- Ofori, F., 2011. "Sources of International Economic Spillovers to Ghana's Economic Growth," MPRA Paper 30455, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Fumiko Matsumoto).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.